Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! My wife is driving my pickup today, I'm working out of town and her car is apart in the garage waiting for parts to come.

She said she ran over some garbage in the road, mostly paper and stuff nothing hard. A mile later the truck begins to "howl" and loses power. No lights or messages. I'm thinking the garbage was probably unrelated, but who knows. I had her pop the hood and look for anything stuck in the belt etc. Said she saw nothing. Oil is full.

Any other suggestions? I guess I'll have to head home to figure this out, but the drive may go better if I have some things to ponder on the way.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Help! My wife is driving my pickup today, I'm working out of town and her car is apart in the garage waiting for parts to come.

She said she ran over some garbage in the road, mostly paper and stuff nothing hard. A mile later the truck begins to "howl" and loses power. No lights or messages. I'm thinking the garbage was probably unrelated, but who knows. I had her pop the hood and look for anything stuck in the belt etc. Said she saw nothing. Oil is full.

Any other suggestions? I guess I'll have to head home to figure this out, but the drive may go better if I have some things to ponder on the way.

Thanks in advance.
Maybe some paper sucked into the intake? Jammed inside it could be hard to see without taking the filter box apart. I'd think that would have set a code that would have shown up on the DIC though...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Also look at intercooler boots make sure they are tight. The noise and lost of power reminds me of leaking intercooler boots. Does the truck smoke?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Boot

That is what mine sounded like when one of my intercooler boot clamps came loose\weak and blew my intake pipe off my intercooler. Mine didnt smoke it just lost power right at 1200-1400 rpm It fell on its face.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Blocked radiator?
When the fan kicks in it "howls" and it does feel like your losing power.
Did she look at the water temp gauge?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Emergency trip home revealed popped intercooler hose, easy to find because of this board it was the first thing I looked at. You guys rock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts