Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 burb, 6.2.

While making new 2/0 battery cables, I got underneath the vehicle to measure & replace the cable from the battery to the starter. Original/old style starter (not gear reduction). Found what I thought was pretty strange. I could grab the battery cable, move it, and make the starter solenoid (on top of the starter body) flop around. Like it was not attached to the body of the starter. Sat and thought about it for a minute. Then removed the starter. That sucked because you can't (easily) reach the wiring attachment points while the starter is bolted on. So I unbolted the starter and had it partially hanging there by the wires, which obviously is a bad idea. Got it loose and confirmed. The two bolts that attach the brass-colored solenoid cover onto the body of the starter were gone. The solenoid had been flopping around on top of the starter for god-knows-how-long.

So I replaced the 2 bolts and tightly attached the solenoid unit back to the body of the starter. Then, getting those #%#= wires hooked back up to the solenoid (which you have to do before you bolt the starter back into place) sucks. The wires are too short by a good 6 inches and that starter is heavy . . . I just about dropped it on my face a few times. Finally got the two smaller wires properly attached (have to face the wire attachment points straight up!) and managed to bolt the starter back into place. THEN had to wrestle with attaching the cable from the battery to the starter (after I made the cable, which was the quick and easy job that I originally set out to do here). Finally done!

1) Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I don't know whether this was unbelievably crappy work from a previous owner or whether the two bolts over time vibrated loose. Pretty weird.

2) I should have lengthened the ignition/other wires before reinstalling the starter. If I ever have to take that starter down again, I definitely am doing that. Terrible design that they made those wires so short!

3) I now know that while I had the starter down I probably should have replaced it with a gear reduction unit. The brackets for a gear reduction starter are cheap and easy to find. The brackets for an original style starter are hard to find and cost something like $40. Does anyone have any comments or recommendations on that? Or possibly a part number or link to a good gearc reduction starter?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
16,292 Posts
89 burb, 6.2.

While making new 2/0 battery cables, I got underneath the vehicle to measure & replace the cable from the battery to the starter. Original/old style starter (not gear reduction). Found what I thought was pretty strange. I could grab the battery cable, move it, and make the starter solenoid (on top of the starter body) flop around. Like it was not attached to the body of the starter. Sat and thought about it for a minute. Then removed the starter. That sucked because you can't (easily) reach the wiring attachment points while the starter is bolted on. So I unbolted the starter and had it partially hanging there by the wires, which obviously is a bad idea. Got it loose and confirmed. The two bolts that attach the brass-colored solenoid cover onto the body of the starter were gone. The solenoid had been flopping around on top of the starter for god-knows-how-long.

So I replaced the 2 bolts and tightly attached the solenoid unit back to the body of the starter. Then, getting those #%#= wires hooked back up to the solenoid (which you have to do before you bolt the starter back into place) sucks. The wires are too short by a good 6 inches and that starter is heavy . . . I just about dropped it on my face a few times. Finally got the two smaller wires properly attached (have to face the wire attachment points straight up!) and managed to bolt the starter back into place. THEN had to wrestle with attaching the cable from the battery to the starter (after I made the cable, which was the quick and easy job that I originally set out to do here). Finally done!

1) Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I don't know whether this was unbelievably crappy work from a previous owner or whether the two bolts over time vibrated loose. Pretty weird.

2) I should have lengthened the ignition/other wires before reinstalling the starter. If I ever have to take that starter down again, I definitely am doing that. Terrible design that they made those wires so short!

3) I now know that while I had the starter down I probably should have replaced it with a gear reduction unit. The brackets for a gear reduction starter are cheap and easy to find. The brackets for an original style starter are hard to find and cost something like $40. Does anyone have any comments or recommendations on that? Or possibly a part number or link to a good gearc reduction starter?

Thanks!
Try looking on the RockAuto website for your year and model.
They should list a gear reduction starter on their site.

(y)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harder to find than it ought to be: for a 1989 6.2 with the OLD STYLE (not gear reduction) starter, the GM Part number is 14028931. I found one here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/324161612114

Plan now is to un-do wires on starter (if possible), then remove it, lengthen the wires, and re-install with the bracket. Does anyone know (prob a dumb question): do you attach the bracket to the starter first, or do you attach the bracket to the block, THEN install the starter (attach it to the bracket)? This is all great fun with the front axle differential in your face . . . THANKS!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I have attached the bracket to the starter first usually then tighten both bolts up while up there. I also drop the starter then removed the cables as well. I found it was easier that way. My cables may also be longer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts