Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a few hiccups with the tranny, the radiator and a bad batch of silicone, I am happy to report that my daughters 86 Blazers new to us 2000 model 6.5 is done, for now.
For those of you that are interested, the engine was a warranty take out that I purchased from Fred482' because I was in a bind with several cracked blocks and none to rebuild. Thanks again Fred!

The engine was cleaned up and the block deck surface repaired at the point where cavitation caused the head gasket to fail. The heads were redrilled because this was a van engine, the same as the hummer, and yes it IS the highly desireable block. The 6.2's injection pump and injectors are in place with the fuel turned up a quarter turn (it was actually turned up on the 6.2 before, so I just left it, and now it doesn't smoke). Injectors have 180,000 miles and still run perfect so they don't get changed until they go bad! I cut out the air cleaner housing and installed a piece of 4" thinwall pipe and attached to cold air intake on radiator support. After finally fixing a stuck spool in the valve body on the 700r4, I can tell you this little N/A engine hauls a$$ and it is in a 6000 lb rig with 3/4 ton running gear, 4.10's and 35 inch tires. My daughter is all smiles and isn't even throwing out the word TURBO every five minutes. First mileage test was sketchy, because I delivered it to her at college and was planning on driving it a steady 65 mph to show her how to get 20 mpg. I failed, it was more like 75 to 80):h and it turned in 16.7 mpg for combined highway and 20 miles of in town driving and plenty of full throttle runs just to make sure everything was OK. Intake noise is a little on the noisy side, but the added power is worth it.

So, in conclusion, I might turbo this for her if I stumble on a good used hx35 but I need some rest time first because with a turbo on this engine the 700r4 isn't going to be very happy:eek:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
AWESOME! but....

:nopics:

Did you use the 6.2 injectors?

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, it has 6.2 injectors and pump. And as for pictures, once they are together, they all look alike):h most people would think it was a 6.2, since it has v belts and a 6.2 intake, but if you look real hard, you can see the desired boss on the side of the block:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
kinda like this setup?:eek:
there's two different projects here:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
You're welcome, Dave! Is it snowin' yet? I'm drowning, or at least hauling out the rafts!

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not one spec of snow!-:t this is giving our area the feeling of really being HIGH DESERT.

·
Super Moderator
5,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mileage report in: 18.6 mpg @ 75 with leadfoot daughter driving):h 6000lb blazer with 4.10 and 35 inch mudders:ro)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts