Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost done with my wiring harness restoration (praise baby jesus), but I have a question about the pinout for the "old-style" cylindrical '83 glow plug controller. I have all the wiring for it worked out, except for one mystery wire that has been cut. On all of the diagrams I've looked at, the pin the I have a wire coming out of, the diagram shows nothing there. Please advise.

In the image below, you will notice that the #2 pin has no wire coming from it. However, mine has a tan wire coming out of it, but it has been cut.

1983_Diesel_Engine_Glow_Plugs.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. - It may be helpful to know that the previous owner had the glow plug override switch for manual glow operation installed.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,736 Posts
According to K30 guy this is a useless post

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,736 Posts
Don't just look at the schematic....

Keep reading the answer is there...

Maybe you will this post a little more helpful :rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey man look, I obviously don't understand the schematic because the one I have has no wire coming out of where my actual controller does have a wire coming out. I started this post hoping that someone with more knowledge than myself could chime in on the matter. It shouldn't be this hard to ask for help.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,736 Posts
If you would have gone past the schematic the answer is there.

PIN 2: There is no connection to this pin on 1982 vehicles. On 1983-84 vehicles, there may be a white tube or a wire
to this pin, it is only to seal the position in the connector. It is hooked to the wiring harness. DO NOT GROUND
THIS PIN FOR ANY REASON, IT WILL PROHIBIT NORMAL OPERATION OF THE CONTROLLER AND CAN
DAMAGE GLOW PLUGS.

This help you figure it out?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, thank you that's what i'm looking for. I don't have my PDFs because I'm on a school computer in a university library. I tried searching online, but couldn't find anything and I can't download new PDFs to these computers. I do appreciate your help, though, including all of my past wiring posts.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,736 Posts
Yes, thank you that's what i'm looking for. I don't have my PDFs because I'm on a school computer in a university library. I tried searching online, but couldn't find anything and I can't download new PDFs to these computers. I do appreciate your help, though, including all of my past wiring posts.
:thumb: If you still help with tracing wires my K20 harness is pretty much intact, but I wouldn't be able to look till next weekend.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I almost have it done! I've learned so much from redoing the wiring...I recommend everyone give it a shot sometime :thumb:. When I first looked at a wiring diagram I just wanted to sit down and cry, but now I have a fundamental understanding of how the components work and communicate with each other. I'll be posted some pics soon. I've completed the wiring, rebuilt the air distribution box for the A/C and replaced the heater core, replaced some vac actuators, primered the inside of the cab, sound-proofed the inside of the cab, and am about to rework the steering column along with the ignition cylinder and door locks. Then I'll reinstall the A/C air box and reinstall the wiring. It's starting to look good, I'm not going to lie. Hopefully everything works as it should this time. :boxing:.

This 1986-M1008-turned-1983-Silverado is finally coming together! Soon, I'll have cruise control and A/C to compliment my 1.25 ton springs, pintle hooks, and 4.56 gears!:bigglasse

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
Awesome job.

I too get overwhelmed with wiring diagrams. Someday I should read the tutorial I put in the FAQs. :whistle:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts