Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys ..great site.....

just aquired a chevy with a 6.2..........................

got a few questions..........

the truck is 82 chevy 6.2 deisel 3/4ton with a 700r4 trans

wondering wut it is worth??

it is smoking with white and black smoke.............

would that be an injector or the pump???

and wut and were is the best place to get the parts .

I am in Calgary Alberta

thanks in advanced
:help: :help: :help:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rust determines price...$500 with to $4000 without.

Engine smoking could be 20 different things. Did it sit a long time before you got it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it did sit for a long time.................well 4 months I think.........

and well it is sort of rusty...................but got it for a song...................

I was thinking resticted air cleaner..............or injectors or injector pump........

but if the pump or injectors are gone .does anyone know a good place to get parts?????

thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
symptoms

Hi before u start to replace parts

1=black smoke at idle or wot or in betwin.
2=try put in the tank good shot of fuel traitement.
3=try to run the engine whitout the air filter (not in dust environnement)to find out if u get a black smoke reduction.

upgrade your signaturewhen u get a chance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mostly black when IO step on it at first
tried with no air cleaner.much better
tried the turn up injector..............better

but still white smoke.......but it is cold here

and wut do you mean upgrade my signature???????????

thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
Black and whithe smoke

To upgrade your signatur in the bottom of you post go in the top righy USER CP clic on the name next window clic EDIT SIGNATURE and personalize your signature who gonna apear on your every post

Black smoke when i add power to my fuel pump i add a 2nd air inlet to get rid of the black smoke. Fresh air depravation symptoms

White smoke ,radiator stay full ? Smoke smell like sugar ?

Do you live in altitude ,montains area? how cold is cold where u live ? below the freezing point i start to get white smoke from condensation

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so white smoke can also mean blown head gasket right??

and yes I am in high altitude.......and it is -15 here up in albertya canada

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I think what Tigman means is that you should create a signature with a description of your truck in it. If you don't want one that is fine, but it makes it a lot easier for the rest of us to tell what exactly we're dealing with here. Your current thread has a description of the truck in it, but your next one probably won't. In addition it helps when you post in another thread.

In respect to your truck issues:

The white smoke could be caused by a number of things. Worst case you have a blown head gasket or cracked head (or two). This could explain why you got the truck for free. To check for a blown head gasket, start the truck and remove the radiator cap look for bubbles in the coolant. If there aren't any, you're in good shape.

Another thing that can cause white smoke is improperly set injection timing. There is a line on top of the front of the IP, and a corresponding line on the casting that the IP mounts to. These lines are supposed to be aligned, but as the truck gets older with more miles on it the timing usually needs to change. Try loosening the IP mounting bolts and turning the IP so that the line on the IP is a bit to the driver's side of the line on the casting. Don't move it too much.

Lastly, white smoke could be caused by bad injectors. Try running some fuel additive through it, and if that doesn't work you would then have to replace the injectors.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
drive it awhile with good diesel in it then change the filters, air & oil. change oil too. some good additive might help, I use Howse myself, FPPF may work too or maybe somebody can suggest something else. My truck sat for awhile too, and smoked alot, after a few tanks of fresh diesel, and filter and oil change its all but cleared up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts