Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dropped the tank on my '82 burban as the 'water in fuel' light keeps going on and it's been sitting some time, best to see what's going on and clean it out.

I spend my time trying to find a matching fuel sending unit and turning up a lot of nada. I know being a first year there were things changed and improved so I need some knowledge (part numbers would be very shiny indeed)

Python Snake Boa Serpent Reptile

Here is the unit, taken best I could one handedly. 4 outlets, two electrical buttons and a blade. my googling has turned up nothing quite like it.

·
Administrator
19,884 Posts
dropped the tank on my '82 burban as the 'water in fuel' light keeps going on and it's been sitting some time, best to see what's going on and clean it out.

I spend my time trying to find a matching fuel sending unit and turning up a lot of nada. I know being a first year there were things changed and improved so I need some knowledge (part numbers would be very shiny indeed)

View attachment 637476

Here is the unit, taken best I could one handedly. 4 outlets, two electrical buttons and a blade. my googling has turned up nothing quite like it.
If you search RockAuto and pull up an 82 C20 pickup they list Spectra Sending units that look just like what your pic has.

Reactions: dieselolds

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they do. but there are only 3 tubes, not 4. Rockauto was my first try to find it as their parts are well sorted. thanks though.

·
Registered
1982 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Diesel
346 Posts
To my knowledge, nobody reproduces the 1982 only " water in fuel" sensor unit. I've also never seen a 4-line unit as well. mine being a single tank is 3-line. i usually just rebuild my sending units and put new diesel socks on them.

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yay for having a unicorn, gosh darnit. on the later models where did they put the water sensor? if I have to update to the later style so be it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The later models didn't have water in the fuel sensor, I can't remember i know it was "Glow plugs" and something else As mentioned 1982-83 only had the "Fuel Siphon" Valves on the Inside of the spring hangers. Use it and get some suction maybe you do have water in your lines. Otherwise, try this video.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
seen that video before, found no such things under the suburban. so we dropped the tank. we'd gotten it like 96% empty siphoning from the filler neck so not so bad. a bit of dirt/dust from sitting so long.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oooh gotcha. I never knew burbs never had that feature... Maybe only the trucks. Hmm.

Well at least you did. If you need to keep the water in fuel thing possibly solder it onto a newer unit and run your wires up where ever they go or something. Because most people I know don't even mess with it because the fact they are "Hens teeth" to find & Discontinued etc.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Let us know what you come up with & I hope the links I shared help. ;)

·
Administrator
19,884 Posts
yay for having a unicorn, gosh darnit. on the later models where did they put the water sensor? if I have to update to the later style so be it.
The 6.5L fuel filter manager has a water in fuel sensor on the side.
You can swap out your square filter for the newer 6.5L filter and utilize that sensor instead of the tank

Reactions: 82Kbody

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 6.5L fuel filter manager has a water in fuel sensor on the side.
You can swap out your square filter for the newer 6.5L filter and utilize that sensor instead of the tank
the old one has at some point been changed to the round spin-on dude, but good to know we can relocate the sensor there.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
The square canisters also had a WIF sensor if memory serves. My 86 has the light at least.

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah no real idea there, as with any used vehicle you have to start trying to decode whats been done over the years to it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The square canisters also had a WIF sensor if memory serves. My 86 has the light at least.
Interesting never knew. I'll have to verify with a friend of mine. If it does I wouldn't think it has the dash light I know for a fact that was only 2 yrs on the early models.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Eventually was found under many many layers of mud and limestone dust
how many miles have u logged on your suburban since you've had it just curious... if that's the original sending unit!?:oops::oops:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
me personally maybe 1 from playing musical vehicles. the guy before me drove it like 6-8 months and then parked it for a decade and change and I think before him was the original dude
it very well could be the original unit.
ODO says 210,486

i've been doing a build log of getting it the TLC its needed on a chevy specific forum, but came here as this is more a diesel thing and not gotten many bites on my questions specific to the fuel system stuff, but good knowledge on the squarebody stuff.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts