Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anybody has or has seen or heard people pulling with 8.1/allison combo at truck pulls? I am in need of tips and how to's for a newibe. As of today rear traction bars in design stage, Just found those cool tie rod tricks, (good thing I work at machine shop) Just few questions for you diesel guys with gm's trucks:

How in the **ll do you get your cv- joints to last, even with a locker up front?(I broken 2 of them and I have a front locker)

I keep breaking the inner cup of inner cv-joint, spilting it in half.

Does cranking bars down so Half-shafts are level with ground help strengh of cv's(Or does 8.1 have hidden power that no one knows about)?

How does the alum front diff. hold up?

Favorite tires for pulling?

Thanks for any info

·
Registered
49 Posts
the cv's are strongest when they have very little angle to them. the more angle, the weaker they are. so if you have you t bars cranked up you are putting them at there weakest point. mike

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
check signature for mods

no problems with the front end yet with plenty of truckpulling abuse but I lower the torsen bars and strap the centerlink to keep it from moving and allowing the front wheels to toe-in

·
Registered
393 Posts
I know a guy who pulls locally up here with an 8.1, he has no issues other than not enough power, but he will still do okay! he has not broken a thing yet!

·
Registered
687 Posts
8100 Hammer,

Breaking CV joints? May be your front locker. I don't think many people are running FRONT lockers are they?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought mine early so all I could get is powertrax no-slip autolocker

Been thinking about Soild Front axle.

·
Registered
687 Posts
8100hammer said:
I bought mine early so all I could get is powertrax no-slip autolocker
Bought WHAT early? Your truck, or the "is powertrax no-slip autolocker"?

If YOUR breaking CV joints and someone WITHOUT a front locker IS NOT, then.....

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I have an Eaton Elocker up front, so do a few other guys that truck pull.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I brought the locker early before elockers and air lockers where stocked items. I have been looking a soild front axle(dynatrac dana 60), upon getting this I would also do the gears to 4.56's. I was just wondering about the strenght of the gm 3/4 front end. And was wondering if anybody else has had problems, or just maybe now it is the way I have the truck setup with the bars adjusted so the front and back are level. Just need to bring them down. thanks mtomca for the ideas

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I havent heard of anyone breaking anything other than tie rods that uses and abuses their trucks. Like Tomac said lower the t-bars and strap the center link to keep the tires straight. I havent had any problems and know lots of other trucks pullers doing the same. Do you have a weight bracket on the front, I have ran with 800lbs on the front.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I put over 220,000 miles on two different 1/2 ton Chevy 4x4`s with lift kits and the torsion bars cranked up 2", and now this truck, over 40,000 miles with the replacement keys (front end up 2+") Between the three trucks, over 500,000 miles and only one factory and one after market half shaft has broke.

I do not truck pull, but I do run the living $hit out of them, and am off road 4-6 days every week. So they must be pretty good.

Sounds like it is the type of locker you are running. You need a locker that will allow plenty of slip while cornering. Any axle will break if one side of the drive axle can not disengage (Slip)while turning in four wheel drive.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The powertrax does allow different wheel speed when turning, the no-slip part just means it quieter than than regular one. thanks for the info

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No I don't have weight bracket on the front, Just was looking into getting into the pulling arena. But getting to much flac from haven an 8.1 and thinking about pulling with it, mostly on other forums. I just wondering what will happen at the track when I start pulling toe to toe with the diesels. And I will!!! Thank You much for all your wisdom and ideas.

I will be pulling past yah!!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The 8.1 is a good motor, but I not shure I'd count on out pulling a 1000f/p to 1200f/p diesel down the track. The diesels arn't what they use to be. It's a new era of performance and efficiency. For over 100 years the diesels have alway been more efficient but were just now beginning to apply it. Glad you are going to join out there in the pullin arena. There's quit a few here that are doing very well. It's good that some more gassers are going out there. Some tough competition awaits. Super Diesel

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Hate to break this to ya but if you are goin to run with the diesel big boys you better find a blower, a cam and well... lots more. Ask some of the western PA gassers what its like runnin against some of the hot single charger diesels in a rwyb class. The 460's and the 454 big boys have there hands full, and there not street legal like the diesels are. Then jump up to the twin turbo world, well thats a whole new dimension!!!!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But I doubt that the diesels are street or emissions legal when on the full boil setting, They just can't drive blown black smoke everywhere. Plus where I work (CNC machinist by trade)people say it can't be done, I prove them wrong. I think a 500 ci big block is a good foundation to build a gasser that will destory all.

What's not street legal about a turboed 8.1 ?

1000hp+ easy I think. seen it done with small blocks(406ci and up). Its like taking 3.24 (8.1divided by 2.5lilters)wrx sti engines which add up to 972 hp. one sti four cylinder has 300hp and 300ftlbs, and those idle just fine, and drive well manned, until you dip into the boost. This is easy way of explaining to you diesel guys who don't understand cams. It's all in the cam for driveablity, and horsepower production. cam techology has come a long way. No lump lump lump idle.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Turbo on an 8.1. Sure, anything is possible, I will be the first one to admit that. Find a turbo modified big block gasser, not one out there that I can think of. Blower is a much better way to go for the gasser. Easy and cheaper. Diesels are emissions exempt out here. We understand cams very well. Have ya been to a diesel pull lately?

·
Registered
185 Posts
8100hammer said:
No I don't have weight bracket on the front, Just was looking into getting into the pulling arena. But getting to much flac from haven an 8.1 and thinking about pulling with it, mostly on other forums. I just wondering what will happen at the track when I start pulling toe to toe with the diesels. And I will!!! Thank You much for all your wisdom and ideas.

I will be pulling past yah!!!
8100hammer

You bring the GAS!!! Diesel's bring the GAS WOOPIN!!! I GUARANTEE!!!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Truck pulls have exploded in popularity in my area and the surrounding tri state area. Many around here offer a street stock class for daily drivers. This class is mostly beat up old trucks but there is a group of newer gas trucks that pull. You are going to have a hard time competing against diesels in a modified street stock or even a open class with an 8100. Many around here come from the EEP camp with BIG HP. It would be sweet to see a big block gas run with the big..big dogs, but probably very hard and very expensive. Keep us informed 8100.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.