Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title indicates, I am now entertaining the notion of picking up an 80's model truck (I put until 89 to include the bodystyle on the CC) in K-series. That means it HAS to be a 4wd. I would PREFER a K20. doesn't matter if its a reg. cab or crew (crew would be COOL!) It HAS to be a 6.2 diesel OR be a gasser that comes with EVERYTHING to convert to diesel OR be a REAL cheap gasser that i can convert to diesel.

The truck HAS to look nice. I don't want a rust bucket but at the same time I realize this model truck is pretty prone to body cancer so some can be tolerated provided it can be relatively easily fixed, like the rockers, fender edges, cab corners, bottoms of doors, etc. Paint does need to be in decent shape but does not have to be perfect. I would rather have a straight truck with bad paint than a beat up truck with decent paint. Get the idea?

This truck MUST run GREAT. This will be a daily driver and MUST run great and be dependable. As I said earlier, I want it to be a 6.2 diesel. Hopefully rebuilt so I know it is fresh. I would prefer it to be an OD auto but suppose a 3spd auto (TH400) would suffice until I could get a built 700R behind it. A 4 spd manual would be my last option and HAVE to be in one he!! of nice truck. I'll be driving this truck around in Louisville, KY and don't wanna have to be rowing gears constantly with all the traffic.

As I just said, I'm in KY and would like to NOT have to travel out of state. I would consider going to IN, OH, and TN if the right truck should show up for the right price. Speaking of price, I'm not hung up on a price BUT it has to be reasonable (likely below $5000).

Let me know if you have one or know of one available.

Thanks for looking,

Mitch

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I made it sound like I'm asking for a lot of truck for little money. I just want one to look decent (salvageable body panels) BUT run GREAT and be 4x4.

Anyone know of one?

C-ya

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well I have a 84 GMC jimmy with a lot of new boby parts and a fresh 6.2 marine built motor, 18.1 pistions (per rebuilder), non EGR intake and a banks kit coming for it. Specs are going to be around the 300hp range. It is lifted 4 inches with new 35/12.50 mickey thompson all terrain tires and steel wheels. The body will need a little attention due to some surface rust on the roof. does not have a rear seat at this time though. I have over $4000 in the motor and it has a fresh 700r4. Going to be asking 8k range. has 140k on it. Will include several body parts off a donor truck if needed. I have the motor in and its running and will have the turbo setup on in a few weeks. Jsut a thought if you were looking for a diesel to play in and stand out. God Bless.

Michael

New panels already on are GM both front inner fenders
I will have a good tailgate, and both doors also for it complete.
Dash is shot on the upper side but might have one spotted if he will sell. I will include all known parts to get completely straight again. The price of the truck is well worth considering with the marine motor. They are nice and powerful. I have recently taken on a huge 4runner project and in the process of opening a business too so need the cash. Thanks and God Bless.

·
Registered
305 Posts
oh did I mention it will get 25+MPG as a daily driver!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an '86 K30 regular cab x-military truck 37,000 original miles 6.2 diesel TH400 Currently installed & Have a Built 700R4 Set-up to go in front of the NP205 x-case It is still army green -- Body is really good but not perfect-- only rust being in cab corners only--- easy fix Rockers have absolutely no rust nor does the rest of the truck -- frame has very minimal surface rust -- factory paint still shows almost all over-- only leak on the entire truck is rear output on t-case easy fix -- but it only leaks about the size of a quarter over a week or so -- I have had this truck more than five years -- it had 28,000 miles when i bought it -- i absolutely love it, but do not have the time to make it into what i want -- I have never had any issues with this truck and as little as I drive it she never fails to start cold or hot -- I live in Connersville. Indiana 2 Hrs. from Louisville I would entertain offers around $4500.00 If interested please call Travis, at 1-765-265-2119 I rarely ever check this board.

·
Registered
691 Posts
oh did I mention it will get 25+MPG as a daily driver!
How in the Censored did you accomplish this and how can I get mine in that kind of condition?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
How in the Censored did you accomplish this and how can I get mine in that kind of condition?

If you are talking about getting your 6.5td in that range, I doubt you will. Remember, you have a slightly larger motor with a turbo.

The old 6.2 did actually get in that range, believe it or not. They were epa rated in the 20's.

·
Registered
691 Posts
That sucks. But thanks for the info.

·
Eagle Eyes
1,334 Posts
I think I made it sound like I'm asking for a lot of truck for little money. I just want one to look decent (salvageable body panels) BUT run GREAT and be 4x4.
$5000 is not little money for the truck youre looking for. unless the trucks really been rebuilt and worked over, or the guy is ripping you off, should be around $2500-$3000 for a good running truck that looks good as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.