Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been thinking about getting a new old Blazer or Jimmy with the 80's body stile. I live in California and I hate emissions checking. Therefore, I want to get a Blazer/Jimmy with a 6.2 Liter Diesel. Before I do, I would like to get some opinions and comments on the engine and the years of the trucks. I want to know how long the engine is good for, how reliable it is, if some years had problems that others didn't... Things of that nature. This forum seems a good place to find this out. I look forward to your reponses. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
124 Posts
'84 or newer and the transmissions are weak. That's about it. Otherwise they have their quirks, but are pretty solid trucks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I drive an 82 every day 70 mile roundtrip to work..........transmission hasn't worked right since the day i got it 7 years ago. Last year put 18000 miles on this truck and get 18-22 mpg with out second gear. Put a banks on the truck and it was a total waste of money. The trucks are great but spend your money on freshening an engine and do your own power adder stuff.

·
Registered
107 Posts
These are great trucks with this one exception--the 700R4 transmission. I still miss the old Blaze, and still have an 86' 1-ton Dually with a 6.2 engine. You can keep these trucks running forever.

I bought my 1983 K5 Blazer in 1986 with 48,000 miles on it from a used car dealer. The 1983 has the nicest looking grill of those years.

I blew the trany the first month I had it commuting up a steep canyon. I later located the original owner and he told me he replaced the trany once already. I was lucky enough to get an AAMCO full warrantee on the rebuild and it didn't cost me anything but TIME when they rebuilt it NINE times after that. I had a file 1.5" thick on the transmission. Aamco will no longer lifetime warrantee 4x4's. I had to try three different shops and only got one because the franchise was being sold that month.

My last 700R4 transmission came from Chevrolet and it lasted over three years and worked when I sold the truck.

My recommendation--get truck with a four speed manual stick shift. Or if you get an automatic convert it to a manual, no matter how hard it is to do. This will help on mileage but make it tougher to drive offroad. i'd prefer the better mileage myself. Don't trust rebuilds from automatic transmission shops. If you must run the 700R4, get one direct from Chevrolet.

Switching to a Turbo 400 with a highway axle ratio is an option. I would not use a turbo 350--I tried that with AAMCO and that didn't last either.

You must be sure you NEVER let this motor overheat. The engine has a problem developing cracks between the intake and exhaust seats that will cause it to start to go through coolant. Pull over and get a tow if it overheats--don't drive it.

I tried repairing the heads--there is a technique using plugs--that didn't work and was a waste of time and money. I found new heads cost $2000 vs. $3000 for new motor, so I put the new motor in at 132,000 miles. It ran fine till I sold truck with 265,000. At the end it seemed to be going through coolant, but I think it was a hose probelm when I sold it. I never let this motor overheat.

I had the injector pump rebuilt by Becker Injection in Sacramento. He was great and recommended using stainless steel parts--for more money. With these he assured me I'd get over 100,000 miles on the pump. I had well over 150,000 miles on that pump when I sold the truck. I think it would have lasted much longer. I recommend Becker Injection. Say hello to Mark for me if you do business with him.

If you take care of the truck and you should get up to 1/4 million miles without too much expense. At that point, mine needed new seats, had a problem I couldn't seem to fix with the front axle, a weird leak through the firewall I couldn't get rid of, and a few other problems that were too expensive to justify, even though the body was perfect. My maintenance problems were starters, batteries, and brakes. I had three fuel tanks--57 gallons, the biggest tires I could fit without a lift kit--32 inch tires.

New gas shocks blew out my shock

1 - 4 of 4 Posts