Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first Duramax last week. Needs some work, (Front clip). But anyways I want to lift it 8" but dont know if I will be able to tow a Toybox Fifth Wheel. Do I need to go with a 6"? Post your pics, and info, Thanks Bill

·
Registered
66 Posts
My rv dealer told me when I bought mine the bedrails on my truck shouldn't be taller than 55 inches. Mine (stock 2500HD 4x4) is 53 inches tall. That being said you could try getting your trailer adjusted so it is level,and measure the heght of your king pin and bottom of your overhang to determine the max height of your truck. Also look at your trailer axles if they are bending down, you could unhook the ubolts and turn the axles up giving you more height. That might be enough to get your lift and still pull. Good luck.:ro)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Listen to the Mexican, go 6" and you won't have a problem. 8" just means more $ for tires, less economy. :blahblah:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont listen ti the mexicans. they use blocks of wood to lift there trucks. did you get your trailer done?

·
Registered
45 Posts
My stock Dually was too tall for my 5th wheel and I had to "flip" the axles on the 5th wheel to get a level pull. SO I would bet a an 8" lift would be out of the question.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
even with an axle flip on the 5vr you will not be level. 6" max I think, but check with various trailer mfg's

·
Registered
808 Posts
See sig for lift and tire size. The axles on the trailer have not been flipped.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,807 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
when you tow something that heavy, any lift is too much. I leveled my truck and have 315s, levelling the trailer is still difficult. if you do not tow level, you either have too little or too mcuh weight on the kingpin or trailer axles. lifts are not made for towing.

before you do anything, check with the manufacturer of the lift.

Also, check the weight rating on the wheels and tires.

In your case, you can flip the axles and raise the trailers center of gravity as well, fun towing in the wind.

Cant see the clearance between the bed rails in Devil's pics or how far off level from front to rear, but would not tow like that myself. For starters, the load rating on the tires is 2510 lbs. not sure about the wheels

·
Registered
226 Posts
Check the pictures in my garage you will see my truck with a 6" lift and 5th wheel toy hauler. local trailer fab shop had to add a custom subframe, axle flip, and large 16" E load trailer tires. I tow the trailer off-road for hunting so I need big clearence between the 5th wheel and the bed. I recommend not even trying a 8" (seen it done) lift 6" was hard enough.

Aaron

·
Registered
565 Posts
Towing with a 6" lift is the limit if your trailer will work with that at all. I wouldnt even think about anything taller with a 5th wheel. The higher you go, the harder it will be to control in all conditions. I towed for years with a 6" lift without a problem but I think its right on the edge.

·
Registered
808 Posts
pismo memorial weekend????
Correct.

I think you will be fine if you keep the lift on the small side and not crank it up all the way. Without ever measuring it I would say my truck is probably only lifted 5".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts