Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my truck back from the dealer last week. They said i had an injector leaking on each side so they replaced all 8. It says inj rem k 3.300 on the printout so i assume they are remanufactured. They said they have had a few customers that get 2 fixed and come back a month later with more leaking so they replaced them all.

Its not very noticeable when they are leaking. A few symptoms mine had were:

1. the oil had a slight odor to it.

2. the truck shifted at a higher rpm than normal in normal driving (loss of power)

3. unexplained drop in fuel mileage( mine went from 18-20 to 15-17)

I wouldn't have even taken it in except my oil analysis showed 3% fuel dilution. The oil level never showed overfull.

If you notice any of these (or other) symptoms you should take it in and have it checked. Its hard to tell.

My dealership was great. They even gave me an extended (4 days)24 hour test drive when i needed a truck.

Our AC also smelled like vinegar so they installed a dryer module kit and added a coil coating aerosol under warranty.

nothing was ever said about my oilguard bypass filter so i don't know if they saw it or not. They even replaced my fuel filter for free(i supplied the filter).

If anyone needs a good dealer in the SW Houston area PM me and I'll tell you where i took it. All in all it was a good experience. They said their diesel mechanic also owns a duramax, so I'm sure he has an interest in them.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
That is the best way to go, replacing all 8. We see so many of them we are not allowed to replace all 8. We have to test and retest after each bad injector is replaced.

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
GMC, that is great to hear.. I hope the mods allow you to post the dealer to help others in that area.. we need to expand our coverage!

Eric

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
He can post the dealers where abouts if he so decides to..... Wont assist me, but help MANY others, our goal ..... Good luck with your truck thanks for the info .... Me I'm holding out for performance injectors .... Seems they may be right around the courner ....

Mac
Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
7 Posts
GMC:

Would you provide us with some info on your DMax? Year and miles on the vehicle.

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh sorry its a 2003 with 14150 miles. Not even broke in.

·
Registered
611 Posts
WOW

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess I will have to take oil samples on my new dmax. I take them on all the hd equipment at work with good results.

·
Registered
212 Posts
So much for the new hardened injectors GM was suppose to have put in sometime in 2002, looks like they are not much better than the 2001 injectors that have been said to have soft tips.
Glad you got your truck fixed right the first time GMC.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Remaining optimistic ....

Very well could have been a couple bad units (injectors) .... I'm also interested in the fuel dilution due to injector being bad .... As it's explained to me at the point of possible dilution comes possible failure beyond just an injector ... Not saying it's not inpossible but the ones that had fuel injector stuck open or leaking have burned holes in their pistons ....

If an injector is dumping extra fuel due to the "seat" being pitted or marred would not excessive white smoke or black be present long before fuel dilution ?? In my case it is,excessive black .... My balance rates are from sky high to cellar low ....
Fuel dilution I feel comes from a leak other than the combustion chamber injector area ....

Might just be yet another miss diagnosed injector failure, or not ....

Eric any comments ??

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The way it was explained to me is the return can have a bad seal and that will cause high pressure fuel to get into the low pressure oil side of things.

I never have beleived the soft seat thing. Bosch has been making high pressure nozzles for a low time so they know what it takes. I am still more inclined to think dirty fuel.

Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts