Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a newbie hear so be gentle.....:eek::

I don't want to fork out the cash for a Dmax just yet, but I would like more ponies.

I have a 2000, Silverado style, 6.0, 4x4, 2500, w/115,000 miles and I'm interested in putting in an 8.1.

Do I need to replace the 4l80e? I think it will hold up...just unsure, or do I "HAVE" to have the Allison...My thoughts were..I would not need as much electrical swapping parts if I could keep my current tranny, and less $$$.

If the 8.1 v. 6.0 is similar to the old 7.4 v. 5.7 swap, then I would be in pretty good shape, but I don't know a lot about these new ones.

Bell housinging, motor mounts, a/c p/s pumps, wire harness, computers, flex plate and torque converter, exhaust manifolds? Anyone know what will and will not work? Or is this a 100% waste of time and money?:confuzeld

It seems you can get a complete 8100 for about 3k with reasonable miles on it.

My current motor is just fine, It just doesn't like 15,000 lbs behind it like my father in laws D-max.

Thanks in advance for any help,:thankyou2
tractorboy

Attachments

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I don't think the 8.1 will mate up to the 4L80 - bu t not positive.

Pretty sure that the tranny can't handle the torque of the 8.1

As far as the swap making sense - I'd bet you could sell your 6.0 and get an equllivant (or probably newer with lower miles) version with an 8.1 for less than the 3K difference that the new motor would cost. Not to mention all the time you'd put into the swap.

·
Registered
409 Posts
x2

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
The 4L80 does fit the 8.1. It is what they put in the Suburbans and non HD pickups. If you don't have a HD, you can't put the Alli in because of the lack of floor space.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just put a supercharger on it and be done with it. I think this would be a better option than a 8.1L a swap. But yes the 4l80e will bolt to the 8.1L and will handle the power fine. I hear the 6.0L wiring harness will work on the 8.1L.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about a charger...but it is the same, if not more money...and 115k on the truck, will the old stock 6.0 take it? It's hard to substitute cubes!

I really don't want to trade this truck either...It is nice and paid for. Plus it has my goosneck hitch, trailer brakes, helper springs, Rhino liner, tool box....Bla Bla Bla......

I would like to keep her for another 7 years or so... So I thought a newer motor would be nice.

When I do get a new one, it'll be a "smoker", and I'll keep this one for back up...or to be jacked up???? maybe?

I swapped a big block into my 1980 gmc 3500 w/40" mudders from a 350, and that was NICE!

I thought maybe the same would happen here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Some things to think about.... rads are different, if you have a autotrac t.case it will not survive any abuse behind the 8.1. The 4l80e will be ok and will work well, not sure if the torque converters are the same. If you go ahead and try this it should be interesting...expect some growing pains though. Try to find a 8.1 as complete as possible (wiring, exhaust manifolds, pcm, etc, etc, even with a tranny. I know the exhaust is also different between the hd and non-hd trucks with same 6.0l engine. My opinion, if you need a truck to pull 15,000 lbs, buy a truck rated for that. No matter what you do to a light duty 3/4 ton it's ratings will never change. The 8.1 in a hd has bigger diffs, drive shafts, suspension and frame, and there is a reason. An 8.1 swap with a 6.0l I would build for a hot rod, not to make the truck work to its max and be limited by other components. Just my .02c

·
Registered
861 Posts
My advice would be to find an 8.1 that was in a suburban or avalanch. they are the ones you will need to fit that type of truck.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Tractorboy;1595684; said:
I thought about a charger...but it is the same, if not more money...and 115k on the truck, will the old stock 6.0 take it?
My buddy had 210k on is 99' 5.7L. We had a 150hp shot of nitrous on it never had a problem. Then he swapped in a LT4 hot cam. The cam was bad, it wiped out the cam bearings. When I pulled the engine apart I was shocked to see the rod and main bearing looked perfect. Teaches him to buy a cheap ebay cam.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vortech8100....

I agree 100% with you on the heavier componets with proper gvwr for hauling purposes. I've seen 1500 trucks with 10-12k behind them...thats crazy. We do use the dually d-max for most of our towing now. I try to keep my 2500 around 10k or less anymore, and use the 3500 for the big stuff.....I would just like to have the "potential" to run that well would be more my point.

So I guess what I should say is, yes i would like to hotrod my truck a little:) . Who doesn't....

It would make it kind of a "sleeper". You don't expect much out of the small block non-hd trucks, so this would be a little different.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
How much do you think an 8.1 in good shape will cost? And with all the mods to the engine bay and exhaust, I would think you would spend more than a paxton or pro charger type setup. Would be a an ambitious undertaking. Much more so than a big block swap on an 1980 model.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree, it would be a under taking, but what a under taking for the right reasons. do you need to swap in a 8.1?.... no.....do you want to swap in a 8.1?......oh yeah!!!!! there is something to be said for taking on a challenge and being proud of it when you are finished. Also you no longer have a "belly button" truck (ie: everybody has one) you will be the only one around with that set up. My own personal opinion....if the truck wont tow that often or leave the pavement I would lower it 2-3 inches, nice set of street tires and 20" rims. That would be a sharp truck. My neighbour has a 01 C3 truck that is lowered and I always end up staring when it drives by....total pavement queen with the odd soccer field gravel parking lot (just to make use of the awd, ha,ha).

·
Registered
66 Posts
MY brother in- law works as a machanic for the local police department, they had a company doing oil changes for them, somehow the oil leaked out of a couple of them after an oil change.( long story, but someone got arrested) The insurance company bought new engine for the cars that had unlimited lifetime waranties on them. My brother in-law called the company and explained to them what a lifetime on a cruser was and they said it didn't matter. He called to get a price for a 5.7 for my suburban and it was only $1500 plus $150for shipping, $150 you can keep your core. The company was in Roanoke Va. THey said they can get any engine. If you plan to keep the vehicle, you can't beat it. They also have trans and rearends.I can get the name and number if your interested.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
vortech8100 has hit it right.....

I like to tinker and make things a little different...within certain limitations(my wife...lol)

So a 2000 with an 8.1 would just be cool.....

Price wise.....I have been shopping for complete 8.1's, and with some odds and ends....should be able to put in a low mileage motor for well under $5,000 actually probably under 4,000 but I'm giving some room for other mods...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I traded in a '99, K2500 (4X4), 7.4 (454) Suburban on my '06 Duramax. During the time I owned the 'burb, I added a Transgo shift kit to the 4L80E, medium length JBA Headers and a 3.5 " Banks exhaust, BBK oversized throttle body and a Granatelli MAF sensor; I never got a programmer for it and so it ran (great) on 87 octane. It was very responsive, very fast and very quiet!!! The only problem was that full or empty, 11-12 mpg got old real quick! Your combo would be lighter and with an extra 42 cubic inches, should leave you with a helluva big smile...!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
If u are using your truck to pull 15k i would try to find me a junk hd in a junk yard that has been wrecked and get the suspison off of it because u hook 15,000 pounds to your non hd im pretty sure its got some sqaut to it i no when i had my 05 duramax i no i was pulling alot more about 30k but it sqautted so bad i had to put bags on it however if u find a junk dmax i would try to well in deal on the motor t case and tranny see how much u can get it for buy it then sell your motor tcase and tranny on ebay and set you a hidden reserve for a couple hundred bucks lower then what u payed for the dmax swap just my 2 cents

1 - 18 of 18 Posts