Diesel Place banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Yukon XL 4.10 gears 8.1

I really like this rig, we have had it about 4 years and its great for the family. I tow a lot with it for work, hauling cars and the 8.1 has always been enough, even with diesel trucks on the trailer behind it.

That being said, owning my own shop I have the constant need to dick with things that work just fine....

I have an extra 8.1 block and I am considering the Raylar 540/547 stroker kit with running some ported stock heads and their BP 205 cam. I already have a modified stock intake with the baffling removed. I also want to lift it 6" and run a 315/70R17 tire. It really comes down to two options

Option 1: BP 202 Cam, install my de-baffled intake, port my extra heads and accept the truck for what it is, and probably regearing it to 4.88's with the lift. I already have E fans, Edelbrock headers, bigger exhaust and a K&N FIPK

Option 2: 547 stroker, BP 205, de-baffled intake, ported stock heads, maybe ditch the re-gear and still have the lift.

I know its hard to say if the extra stroke is worth the $3500 to Raylar, plus the block machine work, let's call it $4,000.

I know if decide to go with the stroker I could probably forego the additional cost of re-gearing, so there is a little savings there.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Raylar uses a PSI 8.8l crank. PSI bought the 8.1l manufacturing rights from GM and upped it to 8.8l for their bus, industrial, and fleet service. They dialed it in at 8.8l/540cuin. They have turbo charged propane, NG, and gas. It's forged crank, piston, rods and some of the versions have 1000ftlbs of tq, but only 250hp or so, right out of the box. As they are for super heavy trucks and the such they only turn 3000rpm or so, so the cam and heads are highly revised for low end torque, choking any high rpm output. The block is a World industries casting. The cranks can be normal 8.1l reluctor, or 58-1 like the newer LS. All the standard 8.1l stuff bolts right up, sensors, heads, oil pan, etc.

That being said Raylars 8.8/540 crate engine is a stock PSI short block.
Edward Coss and Hank Slocum on the 8.1l swap facebook group are good guys to get the parts from. One of them works with Raylar, but not for him, so he is constantly buying and selling engine parts and full builds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts