Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what can you do to an 8.1 to improve gas mileage?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks what kind of racin do you do?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Slow down or Park it!

DEWFPO
Took my thoughts exactly. MPG will improve by slowing down- slight improvement when empty, larger improvement if towing.
And parking it unless needed works for me- leased a Chev Malibu for less than I was spending to use the 8.1 as a daily driver-a lot less!!

John

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Didn't you know that "8.1" is the mpg you should expect? :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
What kind of mileage are people getting? I reallywan tot know becasue I am thinking of trading my D-max.

To be quite honest, unless you drive a ****load of miles, I don't think the D-max is the way to go. It's $6000 less for an 8.1 with an Allison vs. the D-max, gas is .30 cheaper and Diesel is going up this summer due to low sulfer fuel. Twoing with a D-max is 12 at best with a light load and less as you add weight. Maint. is twice as much as well.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have never seen better than 10 in town. Towing my 11,500K 5th wheel I get around 6-7.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Me Too

I have never seen better than 10 in town. Towing my 11,500K 5th wheel I get around 6-7.
Me, too. That's why I got the Duramax...(I traded my '03 8.1-Gasser) I went on a 12,000 mile trip (Around the U.S.) this past Summer, with our 33-ft., 10,000-lb. (Frame-Hitch) Travel-Trailer. The "Best" mileage I got (with the 8.1) was (at 60-MPH), Freeway, Flat-Road, 6.2 MPG...-:t

The "Best" mileage I got (No Trailer) was 11.4 MPG -:t

My LBZ gets 16-MPG in the city and 21-MPG on the freeway. (No Trailer) "All" MPG was hand-calculated.

This summer we head out again... :exactly:

I'll post again after that trip...

I'm "Very" happy with my Diesel...):h

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
What kind of mileage are people getting? I reallywan tot know becasue I am thinking of trading my D-max.

To be quite honest, unless you drive a ****load of miles, I don't think the D-max is the way to go. It's $6000 less for an 8.1 with an Allison vs. the D-max, gas is .30 cheaper and Diesel is going up this summer due to low sulfer fuel. Twoing with a D-max is 12 at best with a light load and less as you add weight. Maint. is twice as much as well.
'tis all true; hence my sig. I will however, try a walk on the other side one say, just to say I've been there...

·
Registered
6,361 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
He says right there he has the 8.1!
Duh my mistake :D I wasn't thinking I thought he was getting 8 mpg , need sleep :lol:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'm sure he is getting 8 mpg. After all that's what 8.1 means!

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I'm sure he is getting 8 mpg. After all that's what 8.1 means!
Your probably right I had a 6.0L 410 rear HD and it got around 10 to 11 mpg:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just got back from a 1500 mile trip towing my 33ft 10,000lb 5th wheel. I got in the high 8s in the rolling hills of VA and NC. Once I got out on the flat interstate I was getting 9.5 and as high as 9.8 towing at 70mph. I have 3.73 gears which may have helped in the flat conditions. I have never gotten below 8 towing.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Just got done plowing a big storm. Averaged. 6.1 mpg! :ro)

·
Registered
65 Posts
8.1 Mpg

I changed the tranny fluid, diff and engine fluids to synthetic along with a new air filter. 19k on the engine, the truck is getting 11mpg mixed and 13 freeway. 2004 CC/8.1 4x4 with 4.10 axle.

My CC D/A 4x4 gets me a visit to the shop for overheating, as you can tell not happy with the "upgrade".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts