Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a 8.1 4x4 crew-2006. other than exhaust, what is the best perormance mod for the buck?

Also any wheel & tire ideas or pix for no lift setup- 17 or 18 chrome w/ good offset.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Hands down best bang for the buck is a custom tune like Westers, PCM4less, wait4me, etc......

Many folks package it with a better intake, better exhaust, then have the custom tune set up for the better throughput.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
588 Posts
Definitely a tune. A intake, exhaust, cam, and tune will drop 2sec off your 1/4mile time.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hey tierod what tubo did you put on your truck? What times are you shooting for this year?

·
Registered
588 Posts
STS remote mount with a GTS76. I'm going for 11's, if I don't blow the engine again! LOL :)

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have taken the piece from the air box that connects it with the fender. That doubles the size of the opening. Also, took the screen out of the mass air flow. Helped it breath.

There was someone on here that told of a restrictor of sorts on the throttle body that can be removed to make it flow better. I haven't checked this out yet.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Removing your MAF screen is not a good mod. Did you check fuel trims before and after fuel you removed the screen? Any change in idle quality afterwards?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I have never had any issues with the screen out, and this is the 4th truck that I have done this to, and never had any codes or anything. The idle seems to be fine. I unhook the battery when I do it. and and then hook it up when done. I have driven over 150,000 miles on them.

It gives it more air, that is for sure. The honeycomb screen takes up a lot of space in that inlet and restricts airflow. I don't think that at idle and or lower RPMs it makes as much difference, but at upper RPM's, it would. It does make the air easier to pull through the intake tube.

The engine sounds better and runs great.
I will do a tune next and try optomize the mods I have done and call it good.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Remember a tune will void your warranty,this is important,esp with GM offering 5/100K now.I think I would limit my mods to intake/exhaust and anything that does not affect the warranty,at least get a 20K trouble free miles on it before voiding the warranty.In the rare event you have a problem truck/engine,it would stink to have a dealer deny coverage.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Keep your factory ECM and purchase another one for the "tune". If you need service under warrenty your swap back in factory ECM.

·
Registered
575 Posts
redneck45;1580435; said:
Keep your factory ECM and purchase another one for the "tune". If you need service under warrenty your swap back in factory ECM.
Good idea,but the PCM will not match the miles,or the number of key starts with what it should be.They will know it has been altered,beyond question.At that point,they can restrict your warranty if they cchoose to.You may get away with it,but GM is on to what we do to these trucks,and can and will legally void you warranty if they find evidence of tampering.Just something to think about before you cross that line....

·
Registered
100 Posts
What is this "tune" you all are talking about. And when opening up the air box and removing the screen did anyone do 1 at a time and then check for power increase to know if both helped or just 1 of the 2 really gave the help?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts