Diesel Place banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new here and to the 8.1. I own a 2001 suburban 2500. I was merging onto the hwy so I sped up had 30sec into it motor shut down. Noticed once as it happened my low oil pressure light came on. Does anyone know if my truck is equipped with a low oil pressure fp shut off safety switch?
Also I had it towed home threw a new battery in it and it starts but cold start I have 20psi and warm it's at 0psi now. Any thoughts would be appreciated as if like to get this resolved. I was thinking oil pump possibly 馃

Administrator
Hello all new here and to the 8.1. I own a 2001 suburban 2500. I was merging onto the hwy so I sped up had 30sec into it motor shut down. Noticed once as it happened my low oil pressure light came on. Does anyone know if my truck is equipped with a low oil pressure fp shut off safety switch?
Also I had it towed home threw a new battery in it and it starts but cold start I have 20psi and warm it's at 0psi now. Any thoughts would be appreciated as if like to get this resolved. I was thinking oil pump possibly 馃
Welcome

Here is a bit of info from the 8.1L Tip & tricks link pinned at the top of this forum section
" Low oil pressure - Also common. Norm is ~26-30 idle and 40+ cruising. Again thicker oil will dramatically increase this and not all have this problem"
I would start by replacing the Oil pressure Sensor first and see if that improves the issue

Reactions: 1HiLimo2

Administrator
It is 1 week old 馃樁 slight tick now I'm scared to drive it now and ruin the motor.
The sensor is one week old? Did you replace with an OEM or aftermarket part?

Registered
Take sensor out. Get a fitting with same threads and put in a manual gauge to see what your pressure really is. If it's a new fully functional sensor it could be a bad connection. My 03 6.0 l does this some times. I get out and wiggle connector and it works good for a couple months.

Registered
I've received a number of bad sensors straight from stock in the last few years. It's an epidemic. Only buy OEM / Geniune GM / AC Delco. Most likely the sensor is faulty. That being said, obviously you shouldn't run the engine with zero oil pressure until proven otherwise.

The rule of thumb is 10 psi of pressure for every 1000 rpm minimum needed to prevent spinning a bearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts