Diesel Place banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever use a throttle body spacer worth a crap? Also anyone got headers on their 8.1 they like? Just wondering what the easiest bolt ons are other then what I have if any. Need to tell wife what to get me for Christmas. :D

How much power can I expect from headers?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You could do a Whipple like I had on my 8.1. That was nice:D. Other than that, to really squeeze some natural power, you can run the Raylar heads and a nice cam. Maybe a tune like Wester's or along those lines as well.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you do headers, do long tubes. the stock manifolds are just as tubular inside as "shorty" headers. if I had seen inside the stock manifolds I never would have bought short headers...they look really similar....

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
had the spacer on the one I had. It helped out a little on the high end.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Back when I bought my new 8.1, 3500 in 2002, I contacted Banks Engineering about improvements. They said that they didn't plan to offer an exhaust kit for the trucks since their tests showed almost no gain from exhaust mods. Motor homes with 8.1 were a different matter. Headers are usually a wise investment, but in this case, save your money.

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So possibly a tune will be the best route to go then? Now on a tune do I have to be concerned with any reliability issues? I dont want to be limping tranny and I still have to tow a 18' enclosed trailer everyday. Only got 3.73's in rear with 285's if that makes any difference. Also wanted to know if there are any good tuners you would recommend in the columbus ohio region.

BTW - How much you rekon I could gain from a tune? Got Hypertech on there now and really cant tell its on there :(

·
Registered
928 Posts
Arent you on Gmfullsize.com too? You should get Justin's (blackbearperformance.com) tune. Hes a preffored fender. Im upgradding from my hypertech now and theres a big difference.

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone else got info?

·
Registered
588 Posts
You won't limp the trans. I did once with headers, cam, and 200hp shot of nitrous.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The stock chevy tune is VERY conservitive, a handheld gets you a little more performance but they still have to be conservitive since their one tune has to fit all as well, it doesn't know or care if you have headers, intake, etc. a mail order tune or a custom tune is the way to go since you can tell them what you have done and they can add to the appropriate areas of the tune. a good tuner will want to know what you have done, if they don't ask they are not a good tuner since they are not taking advantage of all thats available. a good tune isn't all about how much more power you make, but how much better and fun it drives, quicker acceleration, longer shift patterns, quicker shifts. the right tune for you may not be the right tune for someone else. thats the good thing about a mail order or custom tune, they will usually change it to your liking..

I Used Zippy from performancetrucks.net he's in michigan. I Think he has a website zippyperformance (I think thats it) I'll stop now...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts