Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep coming across people in different threads saying the 8.1L is no longer available. I also keep seeing it as available in the 2007 Chev and GMC websites and brochures in 2500HD and up vehicles. It also shows in Trailer Life's 2007 Tow Ratings tables, which, I assume, comes from information manufacturers provide. I plan on buying an 8.1 2500HD gasser later on this year and am real curious what has led these people to believe the 8.1 is gone. Is it rumor or is there some definitive information source somewhere saying this?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Its in the classics.. but not coming for the new HDs.. in fact we did a locate for a guy the other day and found 3 that matched a guys criteria. If you want one, I wouldn't wait.. get out there and get it NOW, before its gone.

·
Registered
304 Posts
porterz;1580513; said:
Its in the classics.. but not coming for the new HDs.. in fact we did a locate for a guy the other day and found 3 that matched a guys criteria. If you want one, I wouldn't wait.. get out there and get it NOW, before its gone.
I second that!! Get one before they're gone and try and get an '06 since they offer $5500 worth of incentives for that year!!

Last time I searched there are only a handful left. Be prepared to get on an airplane and pick one up and drive it back.

I was really caught off guard. I could have swore that GM would offer the 8.1 in the new models given the much higher cost of the LMM diesel. However they abruptly ended the 8.1.

I bought one of the last '06 8.1's in ext cab/long box/4X4. I love it a lot so far. There are 4 more left last time I looked. (Seattle, Bay Area, and Las Vegas).

Unlike the LD's, the new HD's aren't much different then the classic HD's. (same frame/platform just different styling).

·
Registered
445 Posts
I didn't know any 06s were left and only enough 07s to count on your hand... so if you find one.. yes.. JUMP after it.. don't sit idle.. The LBZs are going to end up the same way. When people find out how much more it will cost.. and that there is at least some rebate.. they will jump on them. So for either I suggest urgency.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PORTERZ - So if I understand you correctly it's still available in the 2007 Classics that have been manufactured so far this model year but not any longer? As an apparent employee at a GM dealer you've been told GMC/Chevy is currently not building anymore with 8.1's?

DAVEFR - I would be tempted to pick one up now but I'm retireing the end of the year and I'm pretty much stuck on waiting 'till then when I'd either buy a 2007 or order a 2008. I'm going to pay cash which will come from retirement savings that aren't available until after the end of 2007. If they are still putting the 8.1 in the Classics that's what I'd buy. If they aren't, then my next choice would be...shudder...an F250 with the V-10. I can't bring myself to say "Ford"...yet. For my use, I just can't justify the cost of the diesel and really want the big block gasser.

Thanks for the input guys. Any additional info on the 8.1's availability would be appreciated.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I don't honestly know you can't get anymore.. maybe some can be ordered for this year. The book makes no mention of the 8.1 for NBS..
If you want one.. either get one now, or get stuck possibly trying to find a used one... assuming thats an easy mark... last I checked I knew where two were sitting.. they just weren't the right configuration for our customer.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
You can't order them anymore, as they are gearing up for the new 07 body style. You will have a choice of what ever is left in new stock, or a used one, at this point. If you go on GM's web site and try to build a new style 07, I am sure you won't be able to select the 8.1.

I just got mine used on Oct because it was exactly what I wanted and cheaper than new. Had 8,800 miles on it. Glad I got it. It really runs and drives great.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Here are the last 2 Sierra '06's w/8.1. (at least in 4X4/ext cab/LWB). There are no Silverados left. There are a few more '07's but the incentive isn't as good. Here's how to find them (use L18 as the option code and follow the directions):

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124470

The ordering window for Classics is long gone.

Dealer

CLYDE REVORD MOTORS, INC.
7900 EVERGREEN WAY
EVERETT, WA 98203 - 6418

Vehicle Information
Year: 2006
Make: GMC
Model: Sierra
Model Code:
Merchandising Model Designator: TK25953
Body Style: 2500 Long Box 4WD, Extended Cab Pickup
Vehicle Type Code: L
VIN: 1GTHK29G16E241263

Vehicle color options (2)
Exterior: Name: Ultrasoft Leather, Dark Pewter, Family code: TRM, Code: 692
Interior: Name: Stealth Gray Metallic, Family code: CCU, Code: 46U

Vehicle other options (41)
Option code: Z88, Description: GMC Conversion Name Plt, Family code: MAR
Option code: B32, Description: Floor Mats, Front, Family code: FMF
Option code: U2K, Description: Satellite, XM Radio Digital Sound System (subscription), Family code: DAS
Option code: YE9, Description: SLE Decor, Family code: CND
Option code: AN3, Description: Seats: Front, Full Feature Bucket, Family code: STS
Option code: AJ1, Description: Deep Tinted Glass, Family code: GOT
Option code: V22, Description: Grille: Chrome Surround, Family code: GRL
Option code: E63, Description: Body, Wideside, Family code: BDS
Option code: VK3, Description: License Plate Front Mounting Pkg, Family code: LPF
Option code: GT4, Description: Rear Axle 3.73 Ratio, Family code: RAX
Option code: Z82, Description: Heavy-Duty Trailering Package, Family code: TPK
Option code: CJ2, Description: Climate Control, Electronic - Dual-zone, Family code: HTR
Option code: B30, Description: Full Floor, Color-keyed Carpeting, Family code: FLC
Option code: ZHH, Description: Tire, Spare: LT245/75R16 BW ALS, Family code: SPT
Option code: DPN, Description: Mirrors, Camper Style, Power Heated, Family code: MIR
Option code: 4SA, Description: Option Package, Family code: SPP
Option code: B85, Description: Moldings, Body Side, Black or Bright, Package Dependent, Family code: BSM
Option code: UC6, Description: Radio, AM/FM Stereo, 6-disc CD, Bose speakers, Family code: RDO
Option code: UE1, Description: OnStar Communication System, Family code: ONS
Option code: AG2, Description: 6-Way Passenger Power Seat Adjuster, Family code: APM
Option code: K34, Description: Cruise Control, Family code: CCN
Option code: SLM, Description: Sales Stock Orders, Family code: SPC
Option code: QIW, Description: Tires: LT245/75R16 OOR Blackwall, Family code: TIR
Option code: AU0, Description: Remote Keyless Entry System, Family code: LCE
Option code: CF5, Description: Sun Roof, Electric Sliding, Family code: RDC
Option code: B71, Description: Wheel Flares, Front and Rear, Family code: WHM
Option code: SAF, Description: Lock, Spare Tire, Family code: LOK
Option code: PY0, Description: 16" x 16.5" Aluminum Wheels, Family code: WHL
Option code: ZY1, Description: Solid Paint Application, Family code: CCC
Option code: NP1, Description: Transfer Case, Electric Shift Control, Family code: TCD
Option code: MW7, Description: Transmission, Auto 6-Speed, Allison, Family code: TRN
Option code: VB3, Description: Rear Bumper, Chrome Step, Family code: BRR
Option code: AG1, Description: 6-Way Power Seat Adjuster (Driver's Side), Family code: AFT
Option code: C6W, Description: GVW Rating 9200 Lbs, Family code: GVW
Option code: L18, Description: Engine, Vortec 8100 V8, Family code: ENG
Option code: K47, Description: Air Cleaner, High Capacity, Family code: ACL
Option code: FE9, Description: Federal Emissions, Family code: CER
Option code: C49, Description: Defogger, Rear Window Electric, Family code: DEF
Option code: Z85, Description: Handling/Trailering Suspension, Family code: CHP
Option code: B33, Description: Floor Mats, Rear, Family code: FMR
Option code: BVE, Description: Assist Steps, Family code: SRB

Pricing Information
Destination Charge: $875.00 (The amount charged for a sales model to cover the cost of moving the vehicle from the factory to the customer site.)
BaseNet: $30,850.20 (The amount derived by multiplying the Model List Price Amount by the Model Discount Rate.)
OptionsNet: $3,892.00 (The sum of the option net amounts and special instruction invoice amounts.)
Wholesale Floor Plan: $531.90 (The charge for the Wholesale Floorplan amount which is added to the dealer's invoice amount for the sales model.)
Invoice: $36,149.10 (The wholesale invoice amount for a Vehicle.)
MSRP: $41,200.00 (The manufacturer's suggested retail price calculated from base/option price information.)

Dealer

MOORE BUICK-PONTIAC-GMC TRUCK
15500 LOS GATOS BLVD
LOS GATOS, CA 95032 - 2511

Vehicle Information
Model Code:
Merchandising Model Designator: TK25953
Body Style: 2500 Long Box 4WD, Extended Cab Pickup
VIN: 1GTHK29G06E274657

Exterior: Name: Pewter Leather Interior Trim, Family code: TRM, Code: 922
Interior: Name: Summit White Exterior Color, Family code: CCU, Code: 50U

Vehicle other options (40)
Option code: U2K, Description: Satellite, XM Radio Digital Sound System (subscription), Family code: DAS
Option code: AN3, Description: Seats: Front, Full Feature Bucket, Family code: STS
Option code: VK3, Description: License Plate Front Mounting Pkg, Family code: LPF
Option code: GT5, Description: Rear Axle 4.10 Ratio, Family code: RAX
Option code: CJ2, Description: Climate Control, Electronic - Dual-zone, Family code: HTR
Option code: B30, Description: Full Floor, Color-keyed Carpeting, Family code: FLC
Option code: ZHH, Description: Tire, Spare: LT245/75R16 BW ALS, Family code: SPT
Option code: DPN, Description: Mirrors, Camper Style, Power Heated, Family code: MIR
Option code: B85, Description: Moldings, Body Side, Black or Bright, Package Dependent, Family code: BSM
Option code: UC6, Description: Radio, AM/FM Stereo, 6-disc CD, Bose speakers, Family code: RDO
Option code: UE1, Description: OnStar Communication System, Family code: ONS
Option code: AG2, Description: 6-Way Passenger Power Seat Adjuster, Family code: APM
Option code: QIZ, Description: Tires: LT245/75R16 ALS Blackwall, Family code: TIR
Option code: NP1, Description: Transfer Case, Electric Shift Control, Family code: TCD
Option code: MW7, Description: Transmission, Auto 6-Speed, Allison, Family code: TRN
Option code: AG1, Description: 6-Way Power Seat Adjuster (Driver's Side), Family code: AFT
Option code: YF5, Description: California Emissions, Family code: CER
Option code: BVE, Description: Assist Steps, Family code: SRB

Pricing Information
Destination Charge: $875.00 (The amount charged for a sales model to cover the cost of moving the vehicle from the factory to the customer site.)
BaseNet: $30,850.20 (The amount derived by multiplying the Model List Price Amount by the Model Discount Rate.)
OptionsNet: $3,256.50 (The sum of the option net amounts and special instruction invoice amounts.)
Wholesale Floor Plan: $531.90 (The charge for the Wholesale Floorplan amount which is added to the dealer's invoice amount for the sales model.)
Invoice: $35,513.60 (The wholesale invoice amount for a Vehicle.)
MSRP: $40,385.00 (The manufacturer's suggested retail price calculated from base/option price information.)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't mean to get this off topic but it seems relevant. What is everybody's opinion? Do you think the 8.1's being rare to start with and now extinct will go up in price for resale, or down because everybody is pushing diesel power plants? I know when you say 8.1 to some people look at you as if you are nuts but there is always that one guy who would drive across the country to get one. I know when I ordered my '04 there was only 3 avaliable in canada. On a side note some motorhome coach manufactures and now producing gas pusher class A motorhomes and the 8.1 has had great reviews. The 8.1 is not totaly extinct, just in light duty trucks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
8.1 is an awesome engine. As to how it runs.. great.. its putting out a lot of power as well. Fuel mileage is WAYY up from the 6.0... or was then.. now with the active management, and Variable vavle timing.. the 6.0s are almost as good empty on fuel as last years 5.3...
I personally think it will be like a lot of other things.. fluctuation.. 8.1s are wanted by a small crowd.. thus it got dropped.. and so those will probably spend money to get.. but will resale ever compare to a diesel.. I have to think not.

·
Registered
304 Posts
darthlarryboy;1581161; said:
Any 06 Crew Cab sierra's left?

Ryan
I posted the link but you want me to do all the work?? Ok, here they are. A whopping total of 2:

Dealer

CROSSROADS BUICK PONTIAC GMC
2725 GRASS VALLEY HIGHWAY
AUBURN, CA 95603 - 2545

Vehicle Information
Model Code:
Merchandising Model Designator: TK25943
Body Style: 2500 Long Box 4WD, Crew Cab
VIN: 1GTHK23G76F133314

Exterior: Name: Custom Cloth, Dark Pewter, Family code: TRM, Code: 69D

Vehicle other options (36)
Option code: A95, Description: Seat: High Back Bucket Driver and Passenger, Family code: STS
Option code: GT5, Description: Rear Axle 4.10 Ratio, Family code: RAX
Option code: A28, Description: Glass, Manual Sliding Rear Window, Family code: RWG
Option code: 4GK, Description: Tire: Spare, LT245/75R16 (E) BW On-Off Road, Family code: SPT
Option code: 3SB, Description: Option Package, Family code: SPP
Option code: QIW, Description: Tires: LT245/75R16 OOR Blackwall, Family code: TIR
Option code: PY2, Description: 16" x 16.5" Chrome Wheels, Family code: WHL

Pricing Information
BaseNet: $32,537.40 (The amount derived by multiplying the Model List Price Amount by the Model Discount Rate.)
OptionsNet: $2,743.20 (The sum of the option net amounts and special instruction invoice amounts.)
Wholesale Floor Plan: $581.03 (The charge for the Wholesale Floorplan amount which is added to the dealer's invoice amount for the sales model.)
Invoice: $36,736.63 (The wholesale invoice amount for a Vehicle.)
MSRP: $40,209.00 (The manufacturer's suggested retail price calculated from base/option price information.)

Dealer

PENINSULA PONTIAC GMC BUICK, INC.
2909 PACIFIC COAST HWY
TORRANCE, CA 90505 - 6791

Vehicle Information
Model Code:
Merchandising Model Designator: TK25943
Body Style: 2500 Long Box 4WD, Crew Cab
VIN: 1GTHK23G06F271602

Exterior: Name: Ultrasoft Leather, Dark Pewter, Family code: TRM, Code: 692

Vehicle other options (38)
Option code: GT4, Description: Rear Axle 3.73 Ratio, Family code: RAX
Option code: DL3, Description: Mirrors, O/S Power, Heated, Pwr Folding, Turn Indicator, Family code: MIR

Pricing Information
BaseNet: $32,833.80 (The amount derived by multiplying the Model List Price Amount by the Model Discount Rate.)
OptionsNet: $2,592.50 (The sum of the option net amounts and special instruction invoice amounts.)
Wholesale Floor Plan: $566.10 (The charge for the Wholesale Floorplan amount which is added to the dealer's invoice amount for the sales model.)
Invoice: $36,867.40 (The wholesale invoice amount for a Vehicle.)
MSRP: $41,835.00 (The manufacturer's suggested retail price calculated from base/option price information.)

·
Registered
445 Posts
davefr you are the man.. :D

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Definitely 8.1! Heck...if you regretted it (dont know why you would), you could always get a 6.0L. If you regret the purchase of a 6.0L....you SOL!

·
Registered
304 Posts
darthlarryboy;1581261; said:
Man that search feature is cool

What would you guys do. Buy an 8.1 or a new model 2500hd w/6.0L

Ryan
I've agonized over this decision but it was 8.1 Old Classic vs. LMM Diesel New style.

Test drives gave me an instant appreciation of 8.1 over Diesel. Price tag gave me an instant appreciation of '06 big block gasser over new style diesel.

I love my 8.1 Sierra. It's like driving a Corvette. I'm not that fond of Diesels but I do realize they're superior for long distance heavy hauling.

Keep in mind that the only difference between new HDs and old HD's is interior and ext styling.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Actually there is a lot more to it than that both in the way its built and what its built with way its put together, you'll even notice a bit better ride and turning radius.. and its a bit safer.. And if you drove an 8.1 did you drive an old lb7? Cause I wasn't that impressed with the 8.1s... especially not after chipping.. holy cow!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
darthlarryboy;1581261; said:
Man that search feature is cool

What would you guys do. Buy an 8.1 or a new model 2500hd w/6.0L

Ryan
I've never driven a pickup with either the 8.1 or 6.0's but I've owned 396 Chevelles and 427 and 454 c.i. Corvettes, in addition to small block Vettes, starting back in the mid sixties, and in my mind you can't beat the bottom end torque a big block gives you. They can be real stump pullers. I'm looking at towing a 9,000 to 9,500# travel trailer, maybe larger in the future, and believe the 8.1 would be ideal for the job. If I were just hauling groceries or smaller trailers the 6.0 would do the job, I'm sure. So if you're planning on hauling/towing some real weight in the same pickup the 8.1 or the diesel is the answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I plan on getting a toyhauler in the 10,000 to 12,000 pound range. I know the 8.1 would tow better, but I will only be towing that heavy once a month.

This would be my daily driver. Also I work about 3 miles from my house.

Ryan

1 - 20 of 46 Posts