Diesel Place banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
990 Posts
Different flywheel and torque convertor, same transmission. Don't know about the bell housing but it's removable.

Vernon

· Registered
1,904 Posts
I thought I read somewhere where the 8.1l converter is tighter than the d-max. Which I think would be better. Mike L is the man to ask.

· Registered
2,089 Posts
Gas converter is looser I have a stock converter out of my 06 lbz with 3,000 miles on it. Been to lazy to send it in on core

· Registered
2,089 Posts
send him a pm or call his shop

· Gone but not forgotten member!
13,096 Posts
The 8.1 Alli is identical to the Duramax unit. Only the converter is different ( 8.1 is looser ) and TCM strategy is different because the 8.1 needs to rev higher to get into its powerband.

· Registered
184 Posts
Mike L.;1559272; said:
The 8.1 Alli is identical to the Duramax unit. Only the converter is different ( 8.1 is looser ) and TCM strategy is different because the 8.1 needs to rev higher to get into its powerband.
I'm not sure what you are saying as to looser. Could you explain the difference? thanks

· Registered
2,089 Posts
the duramax has a tighter converter less slip = less stall, The gas converters are loser and have more slip = more stall

· Registered
2,089 Posts
lol I take it the alli needs rebuilt for that price

· Registered
184 Posts
ripmf666;1560847; said:
the duramax has a tighter converter less slip = less stall, The gas converters are loser and have more slip = more stall
Thanks for the response. I thought the stall point was when the engine stalled when the tranbrake was locked and it was at its max torque so not able to produce more slippage. Its easier to remember your reply.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.