Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, did my 75K fluids and filters this weekend - here's my 75,372 mile filter after 13,405 miles. Don't tell me that my EMULSIFYING FPPF in every tank is not good for my fuel system!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
looks as good as my 5k filter.
I didnt have a filter cutter so I used a hatchet. Made a mess of it but I could see the paper.
You running a prefilter?

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, running a Kennedy Megafilter post OEM - so I know that I'm getting even cleaner fuel that this filter indicates to my pump and injectors!

·
Registered
994 Posts
When I saw the title of this post, I was thinking another high mileage fuel filter. Must look really bad with 75k miles on it. Picture looked good. How can this be?

Then read that filter had 13k miles on it. Looks really good.

I'm using FPPF myself. Don't put to many miles on the truck per year. Hopefully it will look this good when I change it next summer.

We need to get some high mileage trucks that have been using supplemental fuel filtration to see if the injector life has been increased.Edited by: OC_DMAX

·
Registered
612 Posts
Idle_Chatter ....

I have the same setup and have experienced similiar results.
After the first of the year, I plan to add a lift pump that will hopefully make it no longer necessary to bleed my Mega. Once that is done, I don't think I will have any fuel related concerns.

Jim

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim, I've had my Mega installed under the airbox since the Grand Rapids Dyno Day. I haven't had a start/bleed issue yet. I do get a vapor space in the top of the Mega, but as long as it doesn't affect my starting and performance I don't worry about it. It's pretty obvious that the OEM doesn't run completely filled, either. I guess we'll see what happens when the weather warms up or in February when I make my annual return "home" to Florida for a couple of weeks. Since my OEMs are typically running pretty clean at 15,000 mile intervals, I think I'll run my first Mega cartridge 30,000 and after checking it out maybe go 45,000 miles on the next.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Very clean after 13K. Looks like it could have went to 15K easily.That shows the place(s) you're buying fuel from has nice clean fuel. I'd continue to patronize them.

Thanks for the pictures.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, JohnnyO, I don't usually pay a lot of attention to my fuel sources - typically shop for price or convenience - but I do have more flexibility with two tanks and don't get into the "low fuel light got to take it" trap. I _DO_ look the place over and will quickly bypass a station that has one grubby diesel pump stuck out on the edge of the lot with obviously low traffic. I made a mistake in labeling this filter as "#4" it's actually my fifth fuel filter and I have photographs of all but the first in my Yahoo album at

http://photos.yahoo.com/tashley680

My OEMs have been pretty consistent in appearance with the black discoloration about the same way up on the same intervals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts