Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a week ago, my problem was that it wouldn't shift out of first, i figured out it was the governor, and replaced it. Now that it shifts, out of first, i have another problem. It goes from gears 1 to 3, and doesn't shift into 2nd, or 4th. what could cause this?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Did you drop the pan? What did it look like in side?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Before i figured out it was the governor, i took the valve body off, completly cleaned it out, and put it back together. Also, do you think this problem lies in the valve body, or the insides of the tranny?

·
Registered
688 Posts
If there was crap in the pan then I'd say your problem lies in the trans.
This could have also been why the gov screwed up. They clog real easy.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have had 2 different 700R4 trannys do that in my one truck. It was a burnt band both times.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
first, did both 2 and 4 go on you? And second, how hard is it to repair a band?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The last time I did a tranny rebuild I think I paid around 300-500 dollars for parts.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I have a similar problem with an 89 suburban 4x4 700r4. It goes in first and reverse just fine. However it has to rev WAY up (probably about redline) and then shifts strait into 3rd. Pull it down into 2nd from there and it will just rev up. No 2nd gear at all. I think overdrive works but I would have to check again. The trans fluid smells burned and is not bright red anymore. Its rather dark. Whats wrong?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a similar problem with an 89 suburban 4x4 700r4. It goes in first and reverse just fine. However it has to rev WAY up (probably about redline) and then shifts strait into 3rd. Pull it down into 2nd from there and it will just rev up. No 2nd gear at all. I think overdrive works but I would have to check again. The trans fluid smells burned and is not bright red anymore. Its rather dark. Whats wrong?
I highly doubt that you have overdrive. If you lost 2nd gear, probably means that band is bad for 2nd and overdrive. I drove my truck around for a little while without overdrive and 2nd gear...talk about annoying....I would step on the gas, get the RPM's up, let off and it would shift into 3rd gear at maybe 20-25mph. It stank!!

Then again, maybe I deserved the tranny problem running a stock transmission with 36 inch tires. :duh:

Attachments

·
Registered
259 Posts
Or worse yet, silicone! (hah,hah)
Did you notice any problems in 2nd or 4th before? You didn't mess with the servo did you? Try prying in on the servo cover, should go about 1/4 inch in and stop. Did all of the balls go back into their proper spots? Was the plate worn?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts