Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
i wanna find a nice nostalgic car to do, but i got this 400 stroked truck motor here,, lol.
and i got a damn specalist appt on sat ,, doh

·
Harbinger of Change
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well, I don't know on the Caddy front. I've been looking for tires most recently... none are cheap or easy enough for me to get to.

I did go and put a bolt onto my tranny cable.. and attached the photo (I hope) so you can see that I found a great use for the spare parts that came with my toilet repair kit:eek:. Beggars can't be choosers:p:.... I just hope brass doesn't corrode in diesel.

Of course, I might be putting myself up as resident pinhead #2 if I do too many more MacGuyver fixes... but I hope that would be related to the failures, not the successful ones.

Attachments

·
Harbinger of Change
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
hi..do you know of any 46 caddys around there..there are a few (rust free) parts i still need for mine..:)
I haven't seen any around town, but with a population of 35k (its fairly small) there might not be any. I'd say El Paso, but it flooded 2-3 years ago, and yes my truck is from that flood :((might explain a few issues).

Las Cruces is nearby to, but I don't know if I trust http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org that much.

The local knock off is http://hollomanyardsales.com and if you work it out with them I can run shipping if you want.

·
senile old gearhead
941 Posts
did it work

did your trans shift later after you installed the bolt...did you try opening the thottle wide open and releasing the cable with the button at the hold down bracket

·
Harbinger of Change
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
did your trans shift later after you installed the bolt...
Yes. It shifts about 17-18 and about 26-28 (I really need a new speedo)

did you try opening the thottle wide open and releasing the cable with the button at the hold down bracket
Ummm... was I supposed to?

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
Ummm... was I supposed to?

yes, thats how your supposed to set it. but if its shifting good and where you want it, then thats what counts

·
Harbinger of Change
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
well...... I think I missed that direction in all the notes I got somewhere. So after I measure it, I should try this and see if thats better? I'd hate to break that dang cable.

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
the important part is... how does it shift. does it shift too early or late. does it downshift too early or too late if you step on it?

if it does these things fine its set fine. even by setting the proper way, you usually have to tinker with it to get it right

·
Harbinger of Change
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
well.... playing with it, it seems that its sometimes (which is weird) slow to downshift, and every couple of starts it will try and hit 25 in first (which I think is prolly bad).

·
Registered
395 Posts
well.... playing with it, it seems that its sometimes (which is weird) slow to downshift, and every couple of starts it will try and hit 25 in first (which I think is prolly bad).

Does the oil look and smell ok ?

How long had it been shifting low for ? wondering if you have done some damage to it !!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the slide is supposed to "slide". Mine does. Both of them.

·
Harbinger of Change
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Does the oil look and smell ok ?
Its color is good, but it smells... like its been warm.

How long had it been shifting low for ? wondering if you have done some damage to it !!
Got it from PO like this... prolly the 40k since it was 'rebuilt' and he got a gasser cable.

I'm pretty sure that the slide is supposed to "slide". Mine does. Both of them.
Slides how? I added the bolt to the end of the slide... and I still have 'slide' room, just if its not snug... well it won't downshift.:mad: very frustrating to find that out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Move the out side of the cable outward away from the pump. push the lock tab down and move it a few clicks at a time then road test . These cables are not a one time set. you need to play and keep setting till you get the right shift pattern for your driving style. This thing about setting as per shop manual does not always work . I have been working on drivelines for 30+ years and i always " fine " tune that cable very very important to make that 700 last.
you are saying that sometimes it is late shift up you could be having a governor problem. just a guess at this point try to fine tune that cable

·
Harbinger of Change
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I'll keep playing with it. Its part of the 'fix-it now not later' stuff.

I did try the press the button and move it WOT. The cable appears to catch, and pulls the adjustment out 100% of the way, no further adjustment towards the pump possible. Then the cable is really loose, to the point of hitting the back of the slide and falling off, which seems really bad. Looking at the cable, how much work is involved with trading the cable out for the proper diesel one?

·
Registered
395 Posts
There not hard to change.

The first thing to do is to remove the cable (slide end ) from the pump , then remove the cable from the bracket mount at the pump , clean all dirt etc from around the cable area at the trans . Remove the bolt at the trans(10 mm wrench) and slide the cable out of the trans. then pull up on the inner cable till the end of the cable and wire hook are out of the tranny. With needle nose pliers catch and hold the wire coming out of the tranny ,now unhook the inner cable from the wire. Remove the cable assembly from the truck.

Install the new cable down to the trans be sure that it is straight and not bent etc. When you go to hook back up the inner cable and wire, catch the wire (in the tranny) and pull up as far out of the case as you can, hold with the needle noise then hook your new inner cable to the wire and release the wire , becarefull not to pull to hard or you will bend the lever inside the tranny .just a light pull !!! There is a boot (seal) that pushes into the trans that the cable goes into I would replace it but if not make sure it is back in the tranny before you hook the cable back up (they sometimes stick to the old cable end ). install the bolt then install into mounting bracket (at engine) and hook to pump and set !! check and adjust oil level Road test

If you run the engine for a minute before you pull the cable out you will have less oil leaking because it fill's the convertor up and lowers the level in the pan . little less mess. do not run for very long or you will be working with a hot unit.

You can attach a wire to the old cable before you pull it out, then once removed you can use that wire to pull your new cable into place .

Most of the time I have the new cable slide down in place so when I pull the old cable out of the trans i can hook up the new one right away have less oil spill/mess

Attachments

61 - 76 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.