Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am needing some advice on my tranny.

I just installed the new engine in my 83 and before the swap, the tranny shifted great.

The new engine has a 6.5 IP on it, with the newer style throttle position switch on it, so I swapped it for the old one. This is the only thing that was changed.

Since the install, the tranny shifts poorly. If I rug it, the tranny won't shift out of 1st, I have to let off for it to shift. When just accelerating normally, it shifts OK except when shifting into OD. It is very slow to shift into OD. I can feel it unlock out of third, but OD takes far too long to lock in.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I am assuming that the TPS could be causing the no shift at WOT, and I tightened up the TV cable one click hoping it would help the OD shift. No luck.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks, Sheldon

·
R.I.P. Sam
32,078 Posts
sounds like the TV cable. the TPS is only supposed to affect the lock up.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I am having the same issue in my 85. After checking into it i found the TV cable was frayed and just in poor condition.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sounds like your t.v. cable is out try to move the cable closer to the pump a few clicks then road test .

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok let me see if I understand this right. I want to slide the cable toward the the pump which would provide less pull on the valve right?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Correct
outter cable move toward the pump . what you are doing is shorting the out cable (plastic) and lenghting the inner one

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I finally had a chance to play with my TV cable a bit. I moved the outer casing forward toward the pump as was mentioned, and it made my shifts worse. Soft, slow, and sloppy.
So I tried moving it back and it seems to be a bit better. I would still like it a little firmer, but it isn't too bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.