Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see what people think about a 700R4 in a 6.2. Has a turbo 400 in it now, but it’s a screamer. I know the 400’s are a work horse I do not do a lot of heavy towing, it is just a service truck. Any info will be helpful!

· Eagle Eyes
1,230 Posts
700R4 is great transmission behind a 6.2. Will lower your RPM's and give you better fuel mileage. Not as solid a trans when compared to the 400 but when its limitations are kept in mind it is a great choice.

Alot depends on what you want to use the truck for. Like you said, not alot of towing so if its a daily driver might be worth the swap. Can also keep the 400 and add a overdrive unit but can be costly.

A transmission cooler is a must. They can also be upgraded to be more dependable.

Reactions: jnlperformance

· Registered
6,169 Posts
Any trany is as tough as it's build, I've had some awesome 700's ... some not so...

TV cable, the most important item to keep a 700 alive, so get the right one for a 6.x and learn how to adjust it....it's really easy after you do one, once ...

Next is heat, keep it under 170 and it'll live a long time ... so big cooler with a gauge.

Next on the heat list is run a lockup converter.

:bigglasse

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. It’s just a daily driver, keep tools on it to work on tractors. I have never had a 6.2 wasn’t used to high rpms. I was thinking it would be a totally different truck with a 700r4, think that’s the route I’ll go. Any guess on what it cost for overdrive kit in a 400?

· Registered
6,169 Posts
Ya the RPM's some times sounds a scary but there are a coupla motor home guys who spun the righ and ran them had and the 6.x lived.

A gear vendor is 2800 for 2wd or 3000 for 4x4 plus drive shaft mod's .... your wallet ... your choice ....

:bigglasse

· Registered
1,978 Posts
Place a want ad in the marketplace, frequently scan Craigslist and Ebay. Expect to pay $100 to $200 for just the bracket.

I just sold one for $150....they aren't easy to come by now, mine I received when I bought a couple core motors. Wasn't even sure what they were at first as they came with TH400's behind them.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,498 Posts
N/a 6.2 with 700 is fine... as for major weight and towing capacity... out the door. The 400 is better for weight and towing. Need to find the empty curb weight of the vehicle and then calculate expected cargo. The 700 is "rated" for 6k but it only does well for max of 4-5k total. Get close to the 6s and it'll start slipping and overheating. My 89 s10 blazer can vouch for that. The 700 is in great shape, but its just not good with anything beyond 5k.

If you plan on boosting the 6.2 with a turbo better go ahead and invest in something larger than a 700r4 otherwise your gonna be a permanent resident of "slip city"...

If you want overdrive + towing + automatic you'll need a 4l80 or larger...

· Registered
2,498 Posts
I can make those brackets... 100-200$ is a joke! I'm in the wrong industry!

Someone send me a pic man... I'll pop em out cheap and nice... or if someone wants to send me a donor bracket (temporary, I'll be sending it back) I can make a perfect replica. Sell them brand new for 50-100 bucks depending on what they are all about...

I don't need one because I'm running the th4, soon to be 4l80... but I'll make em for you guys here on dp.

· Registered
1,978 Posts
Not the best, thought I had more. I can probably get more, my brother wants a 700behind his 6.2, so I kept one bracket for him.

The most difficult pieces would be the rod, the actual bracket would be relatively easy.

The rod has to be around 12" long as a small reference.

· Registered
2,498 Posts
Ok, so I am at a clear understanding here...

A rod passes through and slides on a rear bracket mounted on the driver side bank head?

The rod attaches to a cable?

Or the cable attaches to the rear bracket... cable attaches to rod?

Both look pretty easy / simple to me. 95% of my work on a weekly basis is brackets. Nothing new to me.

Again I have a th400 and soon my 6.2td will have the 4l80... so I clearly don't have this setup. Lol

Without a donor or example piece it's going to be difficult at best to remanufacture it to exact specification.... just being 100% honest.

(whoever) sends this WILL get it back. Heck I might just sandblast it and paint it for ya. I'd only need it for a few hours. A day at the most.

Would I need just the rod and rear bracket?

Is there a bracket attachment on the ip or does the rod utilize what is already present??

· Registered
1,089 Posts
theres more then one way to deal with these as far as making your own brackets...basically comes down to a ratio. so, geometry....yeah i aam not too good at maths and stuff:p:

Bowtie Overdrives | TV Made EZ

that is a decent tutorialabout the concept of it.

....its for carbs but shows the adjustable cable system..

so with a few dollars worth of flat stock...some time with a vice and drill...and trial and error to match the stroke you can definitely do it. then tune from there once your confident of the ratios.

wot is wot and some slight tension at rest. just make sure its not too loose.

· Registered
2,498 Posts
Problem with trial and error with a tv cable in a 700r4 is the trial can equal permanent error and fry the 700 pretty quickly. Doesn't take much.

To each is their own. My offer stands for anyone willing to supply the donor set. Again it's only temporary. You'll be getting it back within a timely manor. Just don't send it usps. Thieves.

· Registered
2,498 Posts
Yea that adjustable set is on my s10... pita but effective...

I was figuring the tv cable setup for the 6.2 is adjustable anyway. (If not) It should be. Just release... floor the throttle pedal and it sets itself (re locks into place)

You can buy the adjuster cable. Its readily available just about anywhere.

· Registered
1,089 Posts
well....you work out the geometry and stroke before you ever start the engine.

no tension or too little is what burns it up. so little risk, or normal risk for that matter

aod ford is similar story. i specialized in those for quite a few years. but they have an easier fixed pressure system and push button od if one so desires to spend the coin.

· Registered
44 Posts
I love having the 700 as the OD is gold if you see much highway. These are not heavy towers anyways. It sure is nice to be able to do 75 mph cruising with the rest of traffic and the engine not sounding like its going to come apart. 65-70 around 2K sure is nice on the flat land.

· Registered
3 Posts
Place a want ad in the marketplace, frequently scan Craigslist and Ebay. Expect to pay $100 to $200 for just the bracket.

I just sold one for $150....they aren't easy to come by now, mine I received when I bought a couple core motors. Wasn't even sure what they were at first as they came with TH400's behind them.

Do the th400 have the throttle value cable with the truck?

· Registered
344 Posts
TH 400 uses engine vacuum for measuring throttle position. Since diesels don't have engine manifold vacuum, a vacuum pump is installed on diesels with the TH 400.

The vacuum line from the pump goes to a vacuum regulator on the starboard side of the injection pump. The VRV output to transmission
is the top barbed fitting. Top to transmission..

The VRV is even more difficult to find than a 700R4 TV cable bracket.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts