Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went offroading today and went through some deep water but after I was done playing around for about 2 hours when I would come to a stop it would shift pretty hard from 2nd into 1st. I probably got a little water in there would a good flush clean it out and it should be fine right?

oh, and what would be a good fluid to go in there? And how much does it take?

·
Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
700's have a tendancy for the TV to get out of adjustment after hard wheeling. Reset your TV and things should be better. Water and auto's don't mix, clutch material is glued with water soluable cement.:eek:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I checked the fluid and it doesn't appear to have any water in it. I'll check the cable cause the tranny only has about 17000 miles on it. I went through like 4ft of water it was pretty deep almost killed the engine.

·
Super Moderator
5,987 Posts
Be careful going through deep water with a 6.2! If you have a snorkel that totally seals the air cleaner, then you are safe, but if you suck up even the smallest amount of water, you will know what it's like to have bent rods or a broken crank or worse!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked all the fluids and they have no water in them. The filter wasn't even wet but it was getting close to that height.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do I adjust the cables? I was looking at it today and really didn't see where to adjust the cable from just kindof a slider thing. Do I tighten the cable to the slider is there a nut on there. Was hard to see.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
On the back of the engine next to the glow plug controller you will see the adjuster. On top of the adjuster there is a button which you press and hold down. While holding the button push the cable housing to the rear of the truck. Open the throttle as wide as it will go. This should pull the cable housing out a little bit, which means the cable is adjusted.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mattster;1770420; said:
I went offroading today and went through some deep water but after I was done playing around for about 2 hours when I would come to a stop it would shift pretty hard from 2nd into 1st. I probably got a little water in there would a good flush clean it out and it should be fine right?

oh, and what would be a good fluid to go in there? And how much does it take?

i think that's how i cooked my tranny: went mudding and didnt' readjust the TV cable adn it just kept slipping and eventually cooked it with only about 7k miles on it. so check that cable asap

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tried to find the adjuster but I'm not sure its the right thing. I found behind the intake manifold on the drivers side near the fuel filter a small cable that goes through a metal piece with sort of a button on it. I tried seeing if that would adjust it and nothing still down shifts really hard. Oh yeah that cable I found had alot of play forward and backwards.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
I'll get a picture of the adjuster later today. I think you've found the right thing, though...

The cable will have a lot of play. If you follow the cable towards the front you will see that it connects to a metal rod which connects to the injection pump. At the injection pump there is a sort of sliding arrangement that creates some play in the cable.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Im so glad I read this . I had that hard shifting from first to second and a down shift that was not soft either. Thanks Im back into soft shifting now .
:D

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found the adjuster finally. Did some digging on Google to find what I wanted to know. Was looking at the right thing just wasn't adjusting the right thing.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Yeah, it's rather hard to describe the adjuster. Not sure why they did it that way... Probably just cheaper. I wish they had put a regular style cable adjustment on there.

Then again, what do I care at this point? ):h

JustOneTruck, be careful about that "soft" shift. A soft shift isn't good and can cause transmission failure. You want the shift to be firm but not overly harsh.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I want to put in a 5spd Manual sometime when cash allows but I may also put a Cummins in while im at it.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
A Cummins in a K5? 4 cyl or 6 cyl? :eek:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
6 cylinder. Going to box the frame while I'm at it also to give it some strength unless I can find a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck cheap cause I would prefer to do it in a truck but a K5 would be unique.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts