Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it is I have a 700r4 behind a 6.2l in a 1985 suburban. I just bought and have no real history.
What I do know
It had a bad tv cable that was frayed when I bought it.
I drove it home and the truck shifted if you reved it up then let off the gas.
It would go into every gear with out slipping.
The trans was overfilled about 1 qt or more.

now I replaced the tv cable. adjusted doing the WOT initial adjustment emptied the extra fluid through the tv cable hole, brought the fluid back to normal level while trans was hot running in park.

Now it seems to slip.If i get it up to speed and drop it into first i can feel it downshift but when i hit the gas the motor revs up and it feels like the trans is slipping. I have not went to far on test drives (its a pia trying to diagnose a slipping trans when you have a hill in both directions out of the drive.

Also it seems to work ok in reverse and when you place it into drive you can feel the trans engage with no delays.

Now for my real question
I have read the threads on tv cable/adjustment as well as valve body (thats next), Is there anything else I should check that controlls the 700r4 trans, or is this all that controlls these? I assume the TPS is only for 4l60e? Also prev owner put on a torque converter lockup switch on. It seems to work and I can feel the thing lock when I turn on the switch.

High sierra I see you have posts with trans problems but I did not find out how you resolved them.

In advance thanks

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
That is really the only stuff that controls the trans. There is a TPS, but all it does is control the lockup converter. Instead of it being a Throttle Position Sensor, it's really an on/off Throttle Position Switch. I guess you can assume that the TPS is bad since someone has eliminated it.

Sounds to me like something went wrong during the TV cable install. Maybe the cable got misrouted or something and threw the adjustment off? If all the gears were working correctly beforehand, something must have changed. Don't try and drive the truck with a slipping trans. Can cause some issues....

When I had transmission problems, I learned a lot about fixing them in short order. Ended up having to do with the TV cable AND the valve body (I haven't gotten around to fixing the valve body issue yet). Nobody on here came up with any suggestions, so I sort of had to figure it out myself. I still don't know a lot about automatics, but I've been driving my truck for about 2500 miles since. I must have done something right!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the cable and I unhooked it to see if it was bound up its pulls out and returns with no problem, I did have to shorten the aftermaket cable because it would not click foward on WOT, now it does and stops on the second click. I will check the valve body next. Its probably a bad trans and I dont mind rebuilding it I just wanted to make sure it wasnt something else before I recoat my garage floor with a nice new shiny coat of atf.

The weird thing is that it worked better when the thing was too full. maybe that raised the pressure and allowed it to work, when i filled it i made sure that the fluid had drained down the tube before checking it.

oh well I knew there was a problem when I bought it.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Aftermarket cables rarely work properly. I would never use one again. The fact that you have to lift throttle for an upshift tells me you either have no secound gear ( band ) or your 3-4 clutches are gone if in fact your cable is adjusted correctly. I can't tell which gear is giving you trouble. You can try taking off in 1st and upshifting manualy to 2nd and see if you have second gear. Get the trans into 3rd if possible and roll into the throttle and see if the clutches break loose ( nuetralize ).
mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike you da man. This sounds silly but before I replaced the cable I didnt knotice that I was skipping a gear. I think the cable was deylaying the 1st gear shift so long that I didnt realize is was missing second, its completely gone will not engage . when i replaced the cable it was shifting into a gear that was gone (2nd). 3rd hooks up and stays. And I never went into 4th. so probably no hope I guess I will pull it out and have it gone through. Too bad your in CA.
Thanks

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Mike you da man. This sounds silly but before I replaced the cable I didnt knotice that I was skipping a gear. I think the cable was deylaying the 1st gear shift so long that I didnt realize is was missing second, its completely gone will not engage . when i replaced the cable it was shifting into a gear that was gone (2nd). 3rd hooks up and stays. And I never went into 4th. so probably no hope I guess I will pull it out and have it gone through. Too bad your in CA.
Thanks
Glad you found the problem. The second gear band also applys in 4th so that's why it never went into 4th.
mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts