Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new so please be kind, or not. I recently bought my truck and am having trouble with the aforementioned tranny. It was reving between gears and when i reached highway speed and got into O/D, all was cool until I starte up a hill. Then it would rev until i nearly floored it, then it would engage again and be fine until the next hill. Then one day I started hearing a loud noise while driving. I got it home and it makes the noise in park too. It is a loud metal noise like ball bearings in a coffee can. I said, this can't be good. Do you think I am on the hook for a new or rebuilt tranny or is it the torque converter? I ask about the converter because i found that it could cause the high speed slippage if the lockout was faulty. Thanks.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
My guess is your 700r4 is toast. Sounds like a similar problem I had with one in the early 90s. Sad to say, but I don't think there's much hope for it. An old trick with the TH350s was to drain it and run type F fluid. Could usually get a bunch more miles out of it, but I don't know if that applies to a 700r4.

ON EDIT, THIS WILL GET MOVED TO THE TRANS FORUM.

Welcome to the Place!

Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could i replace the 700r with the 4l60?

·
Registered
214 Posts
4l60 is pretty much the same internally. The only difference is that it is computer controlled. I would just build your 700r4. kevlar bands, red eagle clutches, five pinion planetary, the beast sun gear, corvette servo and a shift kit and you will be fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help. I was hoping to avoid the cost of a rebuild. I have also heard a bunch of folks having trouble with transmission rebuilds. Perhaps this is due to the quality of the shop. I found a shop that builds mostly for racing. would this be something for me or should i go elsewhere?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts