Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cleaned out my garage and found a brand new GM 7-pin harness. Pretty sure it was for one of the d'max's in the driveway, but I need one on my 6.5....Has five short wires at the plug, that I am sure go to the factory trailer harness, and ground (already has ring terminal). Now there are two heavier guage wires that could run the length of the truck(pic)....Where do I have to go with them?

·
Registered
969 Posts
blue is usually aux or abs depending on the trailer in tow, the red is brake

·
Registered
851 Posts
blue is usually aux or abs depending on the trailer in tow, the red is brake
I disagree, the blue is the electric brakes and the red is the Aux. hot wire. That does look like it came off a D-max.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The brake controller in my Suburban, and the wiring left from the removed controller in the K3500 have a blue wire that goes back to the brakes. I can't vouch for the D'max color scheme, but I think blue is more commonly used for the trailer brakes.

Here's a link to a Tekonsha brake controller...
http://www.tekonsha.com/instructions/BC Wiring.pdf

·
Registered
969 Posts
i've worked on the semi trailers, and thats what the wiring on those are,

·
Registered
306 Posts
white- ground
yellow- lt turn
green - rt turn
brown - running lights
lt green - back up
red - bat +
blue - brakes

the green and yellow may be reversed ( I am always getting these cornfused)

·
Registered
889 Posts
Go to e trailer dot com and link through to electrical and wiring diagrams. I believe that shows good industry standards.

It worked for me. Note most trailers are the same but biggest difference seems RV vs Farm (horse, gooseneck etc) for round trailer wiring plugs for the location of brake controls. The adapter I bought I had to switch brakes and aux power for my gooseneck flatbed from the factory wiring on the adapter ( it was set for RV convention).

Hyper link for info only.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good deal! Thanks for the links.....that pirate4x4 article is especially helpful......Now all that is needed is time to install.....

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
How about a pic of the entire assemly ? BTW does the harness/socket have a seperate part number attached to it ? If so what is the GM part number & what is the option code on the build sheet & truck production date ? Is the production socket on the truck that the harness plugs into? My local genius at Chev says no trailering wire harness is available over the counter ????? Maybe so for the year he researched ??? There is an aftermarket assembly available,complete with socket for truck & harness plugs in.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only numbers are Delphi >PA66< I dont really understand the other questions your askin me...The harness is brand new garage find, I have no idea where it came from. My whole family has driven only GM trucks since I could walk so it could be from one of 20+ trucks....But it does say GM on the cover.

The socket has a twist-lock type deal on it for mounting, so Im guessing it is for a newer truck; one of two duramaxes or the 5.3 gasser....

Anyway, Ive narrowed it down: the white/green/lt green/brn/ylw wires go to trucks trailer harness(obviously), red goes to power and blue goes to controller......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts