Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy told me these Cummins don't use any oil. Mine does.

Towed across the country and added about 1/2 a quart at the delivery point. Solo back across the country and saw no oil level change. Loaded the truck and "hammer down" to Tampa. The oil is now dirty looking and down another 1/4th quart.

Figured I'd go 10,000 and change it. Don't figure that is such a good idea now. Maybe I just need to find something to criticize on this truck?

Anyone else have oil consumption stories?

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Seems low captmal. I expect to put a quart in my Dmax at between every oil change. You should be happy with that.

Edited by: hoot

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did my first oil change at 1k miles and then switched to 5k intervals. At 5k miles the oil was still fairly clean and was down only 1/4 quart.

MikeyB

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mikeyb & Eric,

Truck has just over 10,000 miles. First oil change was at 3,000. Perfectly clean then.

As Hoot mentioned there was little oil use around 5,000. That's about when I used to change the Duramax. For this Cummins they recommend longer oil change intervals. Now that I stretched it I'm not so sure that is reasonable.

Thanks for all information ...."Hi Eric!"

·
Registered
2 Posts
10500 miles. Three oil changes. No noticible oil use.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I change my oil based on my driving, right now I am running 10K between changes with 1 qt usage on the old CTD

·
Registered
43 Posts
I changed my oil and filter at 500 miles. I now have 2400 miles and I have not used any oil. Also, using a 1/2 quart of oil while towing cross country on an engine that is just getting broke in wouldn't alarm me one bit.

I have a couple of Powerstroke rescue truck's at work (fire dept) that seem to regularly need a quart or two of oil added.

Finally, since your empty trip back across the country resulted in no oil loss I think your sitting pretty.

Now stop picking on that poor Dodge and drive the snot out of it
.Edited by: Rosco

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rosco,

You are right. I need to drive it like I stole it. Today I pulled my 25ft. boat across Tampa and back. What boat?

This truck almost did not know it was back there. Effortless towing. Each use impresses me more. I found Fleetguard oil filters at a local Cummins shop for $6 and $11 for the fuel filters. Another pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I just turned 30k and have yet to notice any oil consumption... granted i don't tow much but i do drive it pretty hard most of the time

·
Registered
43 Posts
captainmal,

I order all of my filters online from www.genosgarage.com. The have what they call 4-2-1- kits that come with 3 oil filters, 2 fuel filters, and 1 Mopar air filter. Also, the Fleetguard's they supply are Stratapore's. This kit should last 30,000 miles if you do 7,500 mile oil changes.

However, since I do short trip driving I have chosen 5,000 mile drain intervals for my oil and 10,000 mile intervals for fuel filter changes.

Rosco

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have no oil consumption. 7500 miles on the truck with 265 hours. I am changing the oil every 150 hours. I have read about some trucks using a little oil. Significanly less oil consumption than the two PSD's I have had.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine use averages 1/2 qt. per 5K. I think most of it is coming out of the breather tube.

In the spring maybe a qt...it gets used a little harder then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts