Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found a complete 89 dodge with the mechanical 6BT5.9 whats required to move the engine over? can i reuse the gm transmission? because the tranny behind the cummins a a 3speed 727, not what i want with the 4.11 gearing i got. i got a link up here on brackets for the engine to fit into the gm.

engine has only 150,000km on it, truck is in good condition, actually if i want i could drive that truck till i get everything in the gm ready for the engine swap. ie mounts and all wiring done.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
you lucky sob, i want a 6bt!!
i'm curious too what all is involved with this swap.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
You can get the adaptor plate from a frito lay truck that used a 4BT with a TURBO 400 tranny. Then get a custom chip and TPS or a stand alone tranny controller since the 4L80E is fully electronic. There are also MANY other odds and ends to along with it. I think it was strictlydiesel that converted his a couple months ago. He had a thread in the 6.5 section about it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i figure about the transmission computer that would have to be 94 and down because of the mechanical engine. no biggie, do you think advance adapters would have a plate for such a thing? and will it hold up to the torque the 6bt will put out?

·
Registered
820 Posts
nope it wasnt me, i wish i had the kind of money for a cummins. the extent of my power will be a rebuilt 6.5 eventually and then hopefully move to a d/a. however would gladly take the 6bt for free and let yall know how the install goes ):h.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
CanadianDiesel;1598059; said:
i figure about the transmission computer that would have to be 94 and down
93 and down......

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Id personally think the 6bt in a 5spd manual would be best. Ive seen kits on ebay but dont remember hte cost supposedly includded all adaptors wiring harnesses and diagrams etc.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
PS id you wanna try it on my 96 first Ill provide the beer and parts.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
mechanical pump on the 89 is rotary, not the best. I'm gonna get a 94 or 95 with the p7100 and no computer. Also it's non intercooled. Intercooler went in in 93. Non intercooled and intercooled heads and pistons are different. 97 was the first year of 24 valve. There are some early '97s with 12 valve I believe.

·
Registered
376 Posts
pretty sure you need to do a sfa conversion to get a cummins to fit and take the extra weight

·
Registered
766 Posts
Fast, wasn't the first half of 97 24valve and mechanical injection and second half went electronic? I thought the I/C's came out in 89 but could be wrong.

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
IC came out in 92, and the 24V came out in mid 98. P7100 inline IP came out for 94 with the new body style.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cummins Conversion...

I too, am very interested in putting a Cummins in my 1993 K3500 5-Speed Crew Cab when the 6.5 kicks the bucket. So those of you "Pioneers" who have already done it, please keep us informed. We are all ears!!

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
CanadianDiesel;1597906; said:
found a complete 89 dodge with the mechanical 6BT5.9 whats required to move the engine over? can i reuse the gm transmission? because the tranny behind the cummins a a 3speed 727, not what i want with the 4.11 gearing i got. i got a link up here on brackets for the engine to fit into the gm.

engine has only 150,000km on it, truck is in good condition, actually if i want i could drive that truck till i get everything in the gm ready for the engine swap. ie mounts and all wiring done.
Call malcolm at Harbour City Diesel in Vancouver B.C. (AKA: 24V Chevy on NWBombers). He has done 4 CTD Swaps into 90's GM trucks.

He can get you all the info you need.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Has anyone just done the swap of a 4BT out of a Frito Lay truck?

Heck, if the 4BT is tough enough to pull a big ol'chip truck around it should be stout enough for a crew cab!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
DieselDufus;1605053; said:
Has anyone just done the swap of a 4BT out of a Frito Lay truck?

Heck, if the 4BT is tough enough to pull a big ol'chip truck around it should be stout enough for a crew cab!
I've seen a couple on the net. My buddy is talking about swapping one into his dakota. (Obvioulsy we have waaaay too much time on our hands)
The 4BT can be built up to 300 horsepower with minimal mods and still acheave really good milage.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
FastCR;1601321; said:
mechanical pump on the 89 is rotary, not the best. I'm gonna get a 94 or 95 with the p7100 and no computer. Also it's non intercooled. Intercooler went in in 93. Non intercooled and intercooled heads and pistons are different. 97 was the first year of 24 valve. There are some early '97s with 12 valve I believe.
1989-1993 Rotary Pump (1992 mid year got the Intercooler)
1994-1998 P7100 (autos had 160-180 P Pumps Manuals had 180-215 P Pumps)
1998.5-2002 was the first year of the 24V VP-44
2003-present Bosch HPCR Injection

The injectors are 7mm on the 1989-93 trucks, 12mm on the 1994 and up.
Oil gallery piston cooling was on 1996 and up motors
KDP or Killer Dowel pins on all years up to 2001

Hope it helps

Honestly a 1997 with a 215 pump has the most stock HP potential in a mechanical injected engine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts