Diesel Place banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just stopped by with his brand new 1 ton crew cab long bed dooley with the 600 and the automatic. There seems to be a valve train rattle at idle and when first taking off. The engine was up to temp. I would hope it settles out as it breaks in since it had a whole 102 miles on it when I took the wheel. Have any of you new Dodge guys heard the same rattle? Does it quiet down? It did not seem to be all the time, just sometimes.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
I beleive it's normal. Matter of fact when it's cold it rattles full diesel just off acceleration.

Also there is what sound like a valve tap that seems to go away as it warms up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have the same sound from mine. It doesn't sound "Bad" as in harming the engine.

It was cold here the other morning, well in California (38 degrees) and I noticed that the wait to start coil light went on for a longer time. When I started the motor I noticed a knock about every 10 seconds. I noticed that the engine rpm's would drop or rise when I heard the knock. I believe it's the fuel heater cycling on and off. I reved the motor to a constant 1500 rpm's and when the knock happened and the rpm's dropped 100 rpm along with the voltage draw. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed it, or if not the fuel heater,what was the knock sound. It goes away when the engine starts warming up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I drove a 600 yesterday @ the dealer and it did the same thing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
CTD 600

Did this all winter for me. There something in the user manual on it. I'd have to read it again. I had my truck at the dealer and had the idle programmed with the cruise control. Makes it better, cold days I hit it and run it at 1,100 RPM for a few minutes. There is defenitly a draw on the power when it happens. Dealer told me it's ok. Now that the weather is nicer I have not experienced it since.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Good to know it's a normal occurance. I will have to look into that auto rpm. Might help the engine generate more voltage.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Frank,

I was contemplating having that flash done but I think I'm gonna wait till next winter. I haven't had mine through any really cold stuff and we can get to zero and below once in a while around here.

I had one colder morning. I started her up. It idled normal speed for a minute or so than it automatically went up to 1000 rpms. Just what I normally would do so i may just leave it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hoot

Yes that is true except when the weather was really cold for some reason it only idles at 7500 appx. Mine anyway. Didn't go up higher. That is the reason I got mine done. I also wanted to play with that option.. Call me crazy..

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Canadian_Frank said:
Hoot

Yes that is true except when the weather was really cold for some reason it only idles at 7500 appx. Mine anyway. Didn't go up higher. That is the reason I got mine done. I also wanted to play with that option.. Call me crazy..
The GM HD's with the Allison can be modified to do that also. I added a little switch with a wire connecting 12v to a terminal on the ECM I believe #71.

When you turn on the switch, the cruise becomes the high idle controller. The intention of that availability is for chassis cab type trucks with PTO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts