Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know now for sure that I want to lift my truck. It might not be for a few months, but I will do it. My question is that if I go with a 6" lift, would I have to get a new drive shaft or anything like that? I do not want to have to pay for anything other than the lift, wheels, and tires. I have heard from people that you do have to get new parts when you lift 6". I also would like to know about what brand of lift along with nice wheel and tire combinations. The truck is a red 02 ECSB 4X4 LB7. Thanks a lot.

Brian

·
Registered
61 Posts
lift

I just recently put on a tuff country lift, with 17x9 wheels, they are 5.25 backspacing, the fit and look awsome. Mine is a long box crew cab. There were no special drive shafts needed. There is some spacers used for the front half shafts that come in the kit. I had it done at Les Schwabs, took it to them in the morning, picked it up on way home from work that same day. I am very happy with how it looks, and drives.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
I have the Tuff Country as well and did not require a different front shaft. If you go bigger than 6", then it is something to think about. There is a dual cardan shaft that you CAN put in if desired. If you are planning on going over 60 mph, or just going crazy, then it's not a bad idea, but if you stay under 60 mph and take it easy, you won't have a problem. The Tuff Country lift angles the front axle to "look" right at the transfer case, so only the u-joint at the transfer case sees the most action.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
How about this look (more pic in My Garage):

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
we put a fabtech on a truck no other mods just what comes with kit reuse driveshafts you do have to drop frt diff. down to cut tap off housing also you will need to make or buy torsion bar tool to take the bars out took weekend to do the truck rides better then stock ..............good luck

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can use your stock rear drive shaft - the front shaft will need to be upgraded if you want to go over 30-40mph.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reineke;1598717; said:
I have the Tuff Country as well and did not require a different front shaft. If you go bigger than 6", then it is something to think about. There is a dual cardan shaft that you CAN put in if desired. If you are planning on going over 60 mph, or just going crazy, then it's not a bad idea, but if you stay under 60 mph and take it easy, you won't have a problem. The Tuff Country lift angles the front axle to "look" right at the transfer case, so only the u-joint at the transfer case sees the most action.
The speed limit here in Indiana is 70MPH, so does that mean I need to get a new driveshaft just for that much over. The amount of time on the Interstate could be up to 4 hours at a time. Is this too much stress, or will I be alright? What is the price on a good drive shaft that I could put on? Thanks for the replies.

Brian

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
jermstyle;1598779; said:
You can use your stock rear drive shaft - the front shaft will need to be upgraded if you want to go over 30-40mph.
I have gone 110 mph with all stock drive shafts. I do not think this is correct unless you left something out.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
jermstyle;1598779; said:
Did you replace your front drive shaft? Do you stay under 30-40 MPH? I just dont see anybody staying under that, besides pulling out of the drive way.

·
Registered
719 Posts
replacing the front shaft seems to depend all on the lift and how they do it. I have a procomp 6" lift and bought the truck that way. When I was in 4hi, and let off on the throttle, you could hear and feel something binding, sounded almost as bad as driving on the bumps they put on the shoulder of the highway. Figured that they didn't replace the front driveshaft, so as soon as I did that, no problems.

Love the lift though...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So everyone agrees that I do not need to replace the rear drive shaft. What about the front drive shaft? Also, what brands of lifts should I be looking for? Is there any other things that might need to be changed during the lift? Sorry for all of the question, I do not know much about the suspension on trucks. Thanks again.

Brian

·
Registered
107 Posts
noproblem;1598933; said:
I have gone 110 mph with all stock drive shafts. I do not think this is correct unless you left something out.
Did you go 110MPH in four wheel drive?

With my Cognito kit - The front shaft will start making noise if I go over 40 in 4HI.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
jermstyle;1599318; said:
Did you go 110MPH in four wheel drive?

With my Cognito kit - The front shaft will start making noise if I go over 40 in 4HI.
jermstyle;1598779; said:
No I was not in 4 wheel drive, is that what you were referring too? I was thinking you left something out. I have done well over 70 in 4 wheel drive with No Problem.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
yaafm;1598865; said:
The speed limit here in Indiana is 70MPH, so does that mean I need to get a new driveshaft just for that much over. The amount of time on the Interstate could be up to 4 hours at a time. Is this too much stress, or will I be alright? What is the price on a good drive shaft that I could put on? Thanks for the replies.

Brian
If you are not in 4hi, the front drive shaft will not be under a load and will be fine. If you are in 4hi, and still want to go to 70mph, that will decide whether you need to upgrade or keep it stock. Normally, you should be fine with the stocker.

·
Registered
881 Posts
It all depends on the lift. Some drop the front diff 6" and some drop it 4.5". The ones with the vibrations are with the true 6" drop lifts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the drive shafts do not seem to be the issue. Is there anything else that I would need to replace? I just do not want to have to be fixing things left and right. Thanks again for the help.

Brian

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i agree with moore. the full drop kits like procomp will need the new front driveshaft to keep vibs down. the rear will just need a shim to correct pinion angle. but if you go with a knuckle kit like tuff country, rancho, skyjacker, superlift, cognito, and a few others that dont drop the front diff a true 6" you wont need the driveshaft. both style lifts have there ups and downs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Has anyone heard of BDS Suspension? The shop I took my truck to said that is what they carry, and I have never heard of them. Is this a good company? Or should I have them order a different brand?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts