Diesel Place banner

6-speed questions

2K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Mike L. 
#1 ·
So what are my options for modifications on my 6-speed. Someone replied to another thread of mine and said the Transgo 5-speed kit WILL go in. Is this true>??? Am I still going to need to pull the trans out>???
I ordered the Transgo kit to look at and get an idea of what I need to do.
Are there any other options yet or no>??? TIA, -Mat-

#2 ·
I'm not sure if the 05 will work for the 06 as there were some internal changes. Most of the parts (ie clutches) should work but check with Mike L or Eric to be sure.

I'm almost positive the trans has to come out for a transgo. If the tranny needs work because it has some some extra power (or will), you should upgrade the converter as well (one of the weak points). A good converter and transgo will last with a little extra power (or so they say), but if you/they are going to start pushing it with big power boxes, a suncoast or ats kit would be better off in the long run as you already have to have the tranny out.

A transgo and converter worked well before the ATS and suncoast kits were out, but most of the guys who work on these tranny's everyday, say a few extra dollars up front can save you big in the long run.

I guess if you tell us what the intended use of this truck will be and what the max power you will be running and I'm sure the "guru's" will let you know their recommendations or you could call one of them. They are very accomodating....

#4 ·
spend some extra money and get a scIII at least so you can hold some power when you add some IMO

#6 ·
transgo is just a valvebody modifcation. It doesn't include any clutches.

#10 ·
It wouldn't even be enough for say 400 whp? Nothing too crazy just a little bump. You know until I could afford the whole shebang. How much does a transgo kit cost anyway?
JoshH
The Transgo s/k will help a lot, but I know you guys. I am the same way. We tend ro get ourselves into a false sense of security and keep slowly bumping the power up untill the house of cards collapses.:eek: If you have a program that will give you 80- 150 hp or better and you tell me you will never ever partake in the forbidden fruit a few times I say poppy**** to that.):h We will all do it a few times maybe without a problem; then it becomes easier:ro) . ( junkies ) Then the allmighty check engine light pops up.:eek:

#11 ·
Oh, I'm not saying I won't add more, but I want to add a little now and I was hoping the transgo would give me a little protection until I can do the full bore rebuild. I really can't afford this truck, but I got really lucky and got it. What I'm saying is I'm a poor enlisted guy and it would take me a while to save up for a sc 4 like I would like to do, but I had hoped a t/g would keep me happy until I could get the real deal. Know what I'm sayin'? I don't really want to chaaaaarge it.

#12 ·
So mike, maybe I read this wrong, but you said the transgo kit still does not apply enough pressure for you liking and you address that on your installs. Is that for stage IV kits also? Or is the low line pressure only a problem for the stage III kit?

I'm a little lost. I just want to make sure that when I put my Stage IV in I will have full confidence it will do what I need, or is there something I should correct while she is tore open.

#13 ·
So mike, maybe I read this wrong, but you said the transgo kit still does not apply enough pressure for you liking and you address that on your installs. Is that for stage IV kits also? Or is the low line pressure only a problem for the stage III kit?

I'm a little lost. I just want to make sure that when I put my Stage IV in I will have full confidence it will do what I need, or is there something I should correct while she is tore open.
You read it wrong. The question I was addressing was will the Transgo alone hold big power and the answer is no. You will have everything you need with the SC 4 kit.

#14 ·
Hey Mike L., off-topic, but is that sheep gonna be a five speed or a six? Will it need a single disc convertor, or a triple?

#15 ·
Ok, I have the Transgo kit in my hands, basically all I need out of this box are the 2 valves(with the springs and the small check balls) and to drill the 2 holes. Am I correct>???
One more thing, will a 5-speed aftermarket converter go right into my 6-speed>??? I might say screw it and yank the trans and do a converter at the same time if it will. Thanks! -Mat-

#21 ·
Me: "Hi my name is Jason and i am a power junkie"
ALL: "Hii Jason"
ME: "Its been 2 weeks since my last edge 5/5 setting,(tears) I think I'm gonna make it"
All: (applause)

#26 ·
You're a city boy, right?;)

It's, uuumm, errrr, a sort of "lonely guy" thing!:eek:

Ask your mother!:(

#28 ·
Just kidding Brayden - I believe Mike was a accused of having a "preference for mutton" by someone (McRat?) and it kind of took off from there.

#30 ·
that avatar is still some funny **** and really fitting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.