Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been having a hell of a time with the Predator. It is jut not good. First and second gears (2 and 3 on the lever) are VERY touchy.

The thing is a ***** to drive when running the 40 and 65 Hp tunes. Ive gotten the new ones today from Johan, and it has gotten worse than a 65 HP custom tune I had. The 40 HP (v 1.11, I guess) feels at least as strong as the custom 65 I had been running.

Even the 65 custom tune I had been running wasnt all that great. Still had to be very gentle on the pedal when in traffic.

If I was doing drag races all day, it would be alright. In traffic, to trying to accelarate from a stop moderatly is just a chore.

Anyone with a success story from one brand of tuner in paticluar?

Anyone else know the chances of gettina a refund on a 9 month old predator?

·
Registered
415 Posts
I am running quad 135. 70 and 90 tunes are pretty level but kick you in the butt about 1700 RPM. 110 and 135 kick in real hard at 1700 but you can adjust with your foot. Quad has new tunes that are smother in the low RPM range. I might try a six gun from Banks for the ability to change on the fly. Anyone running a 6 gun on a 6??

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want it to be like stock, but with more smooth power...

I drove a PSD auto with a SCMT at 80hp, and it was a gem...

None of this abrupt power crap. It is bad...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I would get a Van Aaken if you want smooth stock like pedal power. I have the big one, but on the smaller setting it is very smooth and predictable with stock like throttle feel. Im not sure if my lower is 70 or 110, but Im sure either is smooth.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya. I am not sure about the VA box...Seems like higher injection pressures isnt good for long term...

I think I know why there is a problem with the Predator. They make tunes for all trucks, 6 speeds and Allisons. At 0-30 mph, the converter on the Allison is unlocked. This allows for much more abrupt power at low speeds without annoying the driver.

With the direct drive of the ZF, there is always a direct link between the engine and the wheels. Thus, any little engine surge is going to be felt much stronger than in an auto...

Thats my theory, and Im stickin to it...

·
Registered
494 Posts
The VA would be a very smooth choice and you have no reason to be afraid of injection pressure because the smart box e doesn't alter it. The new Quad tunes would be worth a try, some six speeds run very smooth on the old tunes and some were jumpy like your predator but I would bet one set of tunes would work for you. Good luck returning your predator, I had one that stunk from day one and called to return it and they told me they had a fix for it so I shipped it both ways on me and it still drove terrible. I called them to return it and with the time that had lapsed they wouldn't take it back. Oh well that's the last dime they will get from me.Edited by: CPMac

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks CPmac...

I sent the thing to them 2X and then tried the custom tune route...Still not good.

It just sucks. DiabloSport is a crappy company to deal with. They always do the least amount. Im hoping that I can get something changed here...

What does a Quad box or Smart E box run? I wonder if anyone would want to trade...I dont even know if that is possible...My luck it wont be...

Nothing like having to run the lowest tune, and still have it be a pain in the ass...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Edge Juice w att would give you a woody.Mine in level 3 is pretty controlable.Level 4 & 5 comes on stronger.The nice thing is you can adjust on the fly with the push of a button and you have low boost adj not to mention all the other things it does.Customer service is #1 as is Quadzilla's.Had a little problem with my 135 tuner but am waiting for new one with the new tunes.There excellent to deal with also.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im really dissapointed in the Predator...

I got sucked into it when it was the first tuner for less than 700-800 bucks...

I guess you get what you pay for...Along with the customer service...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Gee, I always liked that power surge from the Predator. But I had other issues with the thing.

I tried the Quad and really didn't like it at all. Noisy, made the motor knock like crazy in the first little bit of throttle movement, and odd throttle behaviour ... at some speeds backing off slightly would actually accelerate the truck a little. I see they've refined their tunes recently, haven't tried those, maybe it's better now.

Then I tried the Juice w/Attitude. Blows them all away. Smooth power, infinitely adjustable, and you can change the power level on the fly. I drive around in level 1 a lot, with low boost fueling level 4 for lots of throttle response. That makes the truck effortless to drive but keeps down the wear and tear. Then when it comes time to make a pass on a little 2-lane road, I'll reach down and bump'er up to level 5 before I nail it. Hang on ;)

The only thing with the Attitude on the 6-speed is you don't get the performance measurement and speedometer features. That wasn't clear to me before I bought it, so it was something of a surprise. But it's worth the money anyway, it's just a much more refined fueling curve than the other tuners I tried, it's obvious.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You could also check out a TST. It is very adjustable to what you want. It has 9 settings for lower end fueling and 9 settings for upper end fueling. Plus has egt and boost gauges built in. Adjustable on the fly. Just another possibility for ya.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i do have the Edge with att. can't complain one bit. When on level 5 it is a total power house, but still easy enough to drive around town in. Edge has the product the service and the experince to back up what they sell.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've got the Edge/Attitude. The older box i had (ver. 3.2) had a couple issues, it made the engine noisy (I didn't mind), smoked a fair bit (I didn't mind), made my oil pressure gauge sit on 0 (I minded) and made the truck surge a bit on the highway when in cruise control (I minded).

I traded it in on the new Edge/Attitude yesterday and boy, what a difference. Almost no smoke in levels 1 to 4, even with low boost fueling set in 5. Level 5 puts out tons of smoke, and tons more power than the lower levels. Level 1 through 4 are VERY smooth, feels like stock except it makes the truck much more responsive and accelerate much harder than stock.. No surge, just smooth power at the touch of the pedal. No putting it to the floor and waiting for the power.

I suspect that level 4 is what a STOCK duramax would feel like if they came with 400hp and 770ft/lbs of torque. Buttery smooth power with much, much better response at low RPM. I love the gauges, too.

OTOH I haven't driven with the Duramaximizer but it supposedly drives just like stock until you put the pedal to the metal, then the power comes on. It's infinitely adjustable too which is nice. They claim no extra engine noise and no smoke.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have driven with the maximizer only. It does not smoke or surge any. It does pretty much drive like stock, very predictable. I will disagree with the engine noise though, it makes a very noticeable increase in engine noise, rattles more, kinda like a stroker or Cummins.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm running a 6 gun on a ZF 6 speed and it works bitchen. Smooth as stock, just more power. Banks did use a six speed as part of their 6 gun development and it shows. I run on level 5 daily and tow on 2 to be easy on my clutch but 6 is always there.Edited by: MOTO HEAD

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really dont want to have to buy another one. An exchange would be the best...

I didnt buy the $450 Predator to be retired in a year...BTW, Im cheap...

Anyone wanna trade!

·
Registered
124 Posts
MOTO HEAD said:
I'm running a 6 gun on a ZF 6 speed and it works bitchen. Smooth as stock, just more power. Banks did use a six speed as part of their 6 gun development and it shows. I run on level 5 daily and tow on 2 to be easy on my clutch but 6 is always there.
Banks SIX-GUN-w-SPEEDLOADER was engineered to work with all transmissions and to deliver smooth power throughout. IMHO and I'm stickin to it.

·
Registered
958 Posts
mannytranny your Predator is VIN-locked, I'm afraid it's married to your truck. Maybe if you raise enough stink you can get Diablosport to buy it back from you (doubt it!)

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya, thats what I was afraid of...

Damn. Ive been sending emails to one of their lead techs (Johan) and havent gotten anything...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts