Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my truck back to the dealership for a squeak in the tranny. I thought it might have been the throwout bearing as it seemed to change with the positions of the clutch. Dealer now says that it is something internal in the tranny and they are going to tear it apart friday and see what they find. The truck only has 5800 miles and already getting stuff rebuilt. Anybody else seen failures in the POS zf 6 speed?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Mine's still perfect at 43k miles.

Bet it's your flywheel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've not had any problems with either one of ours. One with 47K and one with 20K.
Edited by: camp

·
Registered
336 Posts
As of today I've got 70,411 miles and 1812.6 hours on my 2001. I've never had a problem with the clutch or transmission. I did have the pedal assembly replaced for the warm weather creaking noise (eventually came back).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have had the same noise on my 2003 2500 HD the dealership had to replace the flywheel at 10K noise is gone but now I have a hyd. problem with the clutch master cylinder and t/o bearing

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rick said:
Have had the same noise on my 2003 2500 HD the dealership had to replace the flywheel at 10K noise is gone but now I have a hyd. problem with the clutch master cylinder and t/o bearing

My tranny squeaks when I put just a little pressure on the clutch and then as I depress it all the way. The tranny has to be warm for it to make the noise. I drove about 200 miles straight the other day and it would squeak even when the clutch was out. I guess I better call the dealership and have them check the flywheel before they tear the tranny apart.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got off the phone with the dealer and they are putting a new t/o bearing in. I'll be glad to have her back.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got 6000 miles on my truck and I'm having the second flywheel and the tranny rebuilt on Monday. Mine squeaks like crazy with the clutch in or out. But that the weakness on these trucks and it sucks.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These trannys do seem pretty weak. I have seen a lot of post about low mile rebuilds and flywheel problems. I guess I probably need to sell the quad so I can keep my flywheel in one piece. I was debating putting a aftermarket clutch in it, but I don't think the rest of the tranny can handle the power. I bought the 6 speed so I could mod it more without spending big money on a tranny. Guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
958 Posts
From everything that I've heard up until now, the tranny is strong but the clutch/flywheel are weak. I'm interested to hear why the Jraed83's tranny is getting rebuilt, what was the failure and how did it occur?

·
Registered
494 Posts
The flywheel is a definate weak link but that is it. The tranny is very tough. About the only way to tear one up is to run it low on oil or change gears way to aggressively. The clutch can start slipping with increased power after time but it does hold fairly well for a stock clutch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Somewhere I read, which I can't seem to find right now, that someone from the board was making 1 piece flywheels. Anybody now who that was?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am in the process of getting them made.

·
Registered
224 Posts
CPMac

Where are you having them made and what is the cost going to be. Haven't gotten my truck yet but I want to have everything lined up for when I decide to go crazy.

·
Registered
414 Posts
CPMac,

With the one piece flywheels, is there any concern over the engine harmonic issue at the 300-400rpm range potentially tearing the teeth off gears in the tranny? I seem to recall an earlier thread discussion about why they (GM, F$rd, etc) have the dual-mass flywheels on diesels in the first place and if I recall correctly it had to with some uncontrollable diesel engine harmonic at low rpm (300-400rpm) which could potentially destroy the tranny. I could be mistaken. I can't find the thread at the monent.

I would love to replace the dual-mass flywheel with a one-piecer that would hold up and not have to replace the dual-mass one every 16-20K miles. Please let me know if this becomes a reality since I would like to have the option to replace with a real flywheel.

Do you know of anyone making an aftermarket heavy-duty clutch setup yet? It's quite obvious the stock clutch is pretty wimpy.

I also recall reading something about changing out the hydraulic (brake) fluid in our clutch systems with something else (DOT3 vs DOT4 or something like that ?) because apparently the heat buildup from the throw-out to the slave cylinder causes the fluid to boil which causes the "hard" (extra travel) clutch condition after long runs in high gear.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
1BADDMAX said:
As of today I've got 70,411 miles and 1812.6 hours on my 2001. I've never had a problem with the clutch or transmission. I did have the pedal assembly replaced for the warm weather creaking noise (eventually came back).

How do you know you have that many hours on your toy? Is there some computer that tells you?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Several companies are involved in helping make these flywheel and clutch kits. I don't have a finished product so I can't quote a price but they aren't going to be cheap unfortunately.

The trans does rattle a lot at an idle with a solid flywheel and a solid clutch disc but it is mostly a noise issue. I am getting sprung hub discs to help with that but it is almost impossible to get one made to handle diesel tq.

The only mod you can do to the factory flywheel and clutch is to replace the disc with a better one. That will hold more power but shortens the life of the flywheel.

The hours can be found on 01-02 trucks by the trip reset with the key off I believe.

·
Registered
12,004 Posts
The tranny is pretty tough. Forders are using this same tranny for quite a few years now. SuperF350 has done numerous pulls with his, and only replaced clutches/flywheels, if I remember correctly.

Over at the dieselstop.com, there have been posts about imput shafts being worn down. Only a rare few, and heavy haulers at that.

Re the squeak from the pedal: Mine does it at 65* and warmer. Its pretty annoying...

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the truck back and no squeak. Love the mannual but hate the clutch flywheel problems. Someone needs to make a good flywheel that can be tested for the low rpm tranny noise and a good heavy single disc for driveability. Maybe someday

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Gray Max said:
Someone needs to make a good flywheel that can be tested for the low rpm tranny noise

If you want tranny noise ride in my truck. I had an aluminum shift handle made so I can use a Hurst T handle. The only problem is the factory shifter has a rubber isolater. All the tranny noise now comes into the cab through the shifter. The nice part about not having the rubber is I can feel the gears better. I can really hit the 1st to 2nd shift now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts