Diesel Place banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I bought a spare 5 speed 2wd Allison from a member here (in great shape), also got a Stg4 PPE trans kit to install. I had started to tear apart the 5 speed and do the shift kit mods in the valve body/c2 piston. Everything is fine but I recently got a 6 speed Allison (2wd also) for darn cheap ($1000), and I am thinking of putting it in the truck instead :D

I had called PPE today and talked to Rick, he said the Stg4 kit for the 5 speed will work but the only thing I will have to do is stack a stock clutch on the C1 to get the correct clearance (on top of the power pack)... Is this a recommended practice?

Lastly, how am I going to get the 6 speed to work? I know I can swap over the 5 speed valve body over and just use it like that, but I really would like 6th gear. Can I use the 6 speed valve body and 5spd TCM with no problems other than no 6th gear for now? (dont feel like spending extra $$$ on a TCM right now). I emailed Suncoast for info on just buying a 6spd TCM alone (not the upgrade kit) but I am waiting for a reply.

More or less just thinking outloud here, feel free to bash / inform me :eek:

Thanks,
Jesse

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that sucks.

Anybody know if you can use a factory TCM from an 06+ truck?

I did quite a bit of searching (here and google) but all the threads were about the conversion kit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well that sucks.

Anybody know if you can use a factory TCM from an 06+ truck?

I did quite a bit of searching (here and google) but all the threads were about the conversion kit.
Not on a Duramax. Ironically, if you had an 8.1L gasser it would be pretty easy...

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Not on a Duramax. Ironically, if you had an 8.1L gasser it would be pretty easy...

X2

Won't work, you'll either need to buy the complete 6 spd suncoast kit or just use it as a 5 spd.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like Im going to use the 5 speed valve body then!

Mike, is stacking a stock C1 clutch on the powerpack ok? Or should I buy extra carbon plates instead?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Will do, thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts