602 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
6 speed auto with manual tap shift feature

·
Registered
235 Posts
Nice feature. We have it on our new CC/SB D/A. Between "D" and "1," there is an "M" (for manual). When shifted to "M," the numbers 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 appear on the DIC. There are brackets arond the selected gear. You can shift up or down by pushing a good-sized rocker switch that is on the gear-shift handle.

Great for special situations.

Steve

·
Registered
693 Posts
I for one,
Love it

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tell us more about how that tap feature does while towing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Do you think it's better than the ZF6?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Do you think it's better than the ZF6?
No question in my mind that it is better, especially when you factor in that you cannot get the LBZ with the manual.

Besides, my wife drives our truck about half of the miles it gets driven now a days, and there is no freaking way she would drive a manual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The 2006 Allison tap-shift feature sets the range, it doesn't shift manually with a tap of the switch - unless you are tapping it down - in other words, if you select (3), it will shift up and down between 1, 2, and 3, depending on speed and load. I wish it did shift with a tap, but the shifting is still controlled by the transmission.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sparker is correct, the tranny still "chooses" which gear it's in but it still limits the top gear IF you start out in that gear.
It's a good feature but it isn't a full manual at all. Comes in handy on long grades if the tranny is close to shifting. Better than not having it at all! Cheers.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Trans has a brain of it's own. Kinda like a woman. You tell it one thing and by golly it's going to do what it wants. Really think it's more of a selling feature rather than something that you really need. Would be neat if it really did go manual. I remember my ole Z Camaro with a trans kit and 400 turbo trans. You could drop that thing in low at any speed you dared, but with an 7,000 rpm operating range it didn't matter.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
Moving to Allison OEM...

·
Registered
500 Posts
For my needs, I've found the grade breaking precludes the need to use the M mode for downshifting on grades of any sort - especially when in Tow/Haul mode. Still, I have used it in certain situations - but not for towing.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
i like manuel mode , but i'm voting for paddles like in a ferrari or a porsche and rear sway bars[3500 daully] it will be easyer to keep up w/ all these kiddy[hondas and toyotas] cars that want to race me all the time

1 - 15 of 15 Posts