Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys! anybody having manual 6 spd trans overheating- truck is a 03 2500 hd duramax !
thanks for your help-bubba

·
Registered
262 Posts
What are the symptoms?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't know, I don't have a temp guage on it. I will say that when I crawled under to do the oil change this weekend, right after a 40 mile run, I was surprised at how hot the transmission case was . . . it didn't remove any skin but I din't leave my hand there very long!
Edited by: Colorado Kid

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
You will definitely leave shin on the rotors. Learned that back in the early 70s. 120 degrees will burn the hell out of ya! Later! Frank

·
Registered
95 Posts
Frank Blum said:
You will definitely leave shin on the rotors. Learned that back in the early 70s. 120 degrees will burn the hell out of ya! Later! Frank

120 degrees fahrenheit will not burn you. That is about what your hot water is at home (if you don't have it turned up very high).

I believe that Ford uses a cooler on the ZF 6 speed trannies in the SD trucks.Edited by: Black Dog

·
Registered
262 Posts
These guys make transmission coolers for the ZF:

http://www.fastcoolers.com/

I may add one, but I haven't experienced any indications of excessive transmission temperature so it really hasn't been a priority.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
How many miles are on it? I've noticed my hard clutch isn't as bad after 30K. These are big trannys and may take longer than expected to wear in fully especially for those of us who run empty most of the time.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't think the hard clutch is related to tranmission temp.

Some engineers I have talked to feel that it is an issue with the self-adjust mechanism. If it is heat related it is most likely the hydraulic clutch as opposed to the transmission itself.

The weird thing is that only the stock clutch seems to get the hard pedal issue. I have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel from CPMac and it has yet to get stiff where as the stock one went stiff on the highway 100% of the time (given a long enough trip).

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I too find it hard to believe normal even borderline hot trans temps effect the clutch but others and dealers have mentioned it so I thought I'd throw it out there.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Black Dog, get your thermometer out and run the water up to 120. Stick your hand under it and then come back and tell us it didn't burn you. I double checked this before posting. I think it is code in most states to limit residential water temp at showers, basins etc. to 110 max. Later! Frank Edited by: Frank Blum

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Michigana_Joe said:
I don't think the hard clutch is related to tranmission temp.

Some engineers I have talked to feel that it is an issue with the self-adjust mechanism. If it is heat related it is most likely the hydraulic clutch as opposed to the transmission itself.

The weird thing is that only the stock clutch seems to get the hard pedal issue. I have an aftermarket clutch and flywheel from CPMac and it has yet to get stiff where as the stock one went stiff on the highway 100% of the time (given a long enough trip).

Ok, now I am miffed. . . you got an aftermarket flexplate and clutch from CPMac???? I want one...
. I have been dealing with a hard pedal and slippage since I got my truck last Sept. CPMac told me about his invention process but didn't contact me. How long have you had this installed? Are you the beta tester? Do you use a chip or programmer? Racing? Hauling? Pleeeeease let me know how this is working. I realy want to get rid of my squeaky, hard pedal and my slipping clutch (the tranny cooler GM installed had no effect!)

Thanks,

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have an early version that consists of a single, solid disc. I will eventually be going to the dual solid disc version that CPMac now offers.

The solid ones rattle at idle, the sprung hub ones should be substantially quieter at idle (which is what people who want a stock sounding truck will want). Personally I don't mind the rattle and hope to add substantially more power in the future, so I like the dual disc option best.

The disc I currently have has been subjected to hundreds of 0-60's, powershifts, rolling burnouts, potentially some off-track racing (or not, who's to say
), etc for over 6,000 miles running the Quad 215 and has been hanging tough.

I couldn't even estimate how many stock flywheels I would have gone through during same time frame -- I probably would have sold the truck by now otherwise.

I highly recommend one of CPMac's setups. If you run a tuner or a module or haul anything heavier than groceries it's pretty much a necessity given how weak the stock flywheel is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts