Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Love the site. Been reading for awhile, lots of great info. Had to post about my experience with my local dealer.

Noticed truck was very slow to start a couple of days ago. Was only 25 outside according to the temp in rearview mirror. (Truck has started fine down at 5). Checked each battery. One only has 10 or so volts. Dead Cell. (At least I didn't have one bust and leak acid all over.)

Off to the dealer. After an hour and a half, service manager comes to tell me I have a bad battery. Then asks if I have been plugging the truck in at night when it is going to get really cold. I told him that many people have told me that the truck will start fine down to 0 degrees. He says that Gm recomends plugging the truck in anytime it will be below 38 degrees.
I tell him the manual doesn't say that, and he says this info was in a TSB.

I think this guy is full of it, and I guess I will have to try a different local dealer. If this is the load of crap given for something so simple, imagine if I had a real problem......

·
Registered
600 Posts
There is no IQ test to become a service manager. They are just people, some honest, some less, some really intelligent, some less, some very well versed in the GM literature and TSBs, some less.

Ask him (respectfully) what difference it makes whether you plug in your water jacket block heater. See if he suggests that not doing so means that you are "using" your battery too much and you "wore it out."

Then get your owner's manual out of the glove box, and your Duramax suppliment, and ask him to show you where it says you must do this. Then ask him for the copy of the TSB so you can be certain to do things "right" from now on.

Give him the rope, let him hang himself....

JimEdited by: 2fast2

·
Registered
747 Posts
"Give him the rope, let him hang himself...."

LOL!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bail on the stock batts. Get red top optima's, you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
600 Posts
a64pilot,

The red top Optima's are a good idea except those failed batteries should be covered under warranty. Free replacement is better than a few hundred dollars for some really good replacements!

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts