Diesel Place banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post and ive tried checking through the threads so i didnt have to post and couldn't find anything relevant to my situation. I got a 93' k2500 with the 6.5td. The truck has 176k on it but im unsure about the engine. Previous owner sayed it was swapped with another used engine but didnt know the miles. After i bought the truck i put in a new lift pump, lift pump harness/relay, cdr valve, and a new set of injectors from ssdiesel (bosch remans). Towards the end of the summer i started the truck one morning and it started smoking. ALOT. It filled the whole yard with smoke in 10 minutes. It was a white/blue smoke that smelled like raw diesel. So i bought another set of injectors (bosch remans again) and hard lines thinking that i messed up the lining in the hard lines replacing them causing premature injector failure. While swapping injectors i found one injector that was obviously stuck open and leaking fuel.
Got the new injectors in and started trying to bleed the injectors one by one but there was 3 injectors i couldn't bleed for the life of me. I tried letting the truck run to bleed itself and it had a terrible injector knock right from the get go that never went away. So i figured some of the new injectors may have been faulty/ damaged during shipping (they were tossed in a box with a crinkled newspaper on top of them) so i swapped the few with an air issue out with the old injectors. Sure enough the knock and air issue was gone. Took the truck for a test drive and the exhaust was clean for about 20 miles. On my way home it started smoking again but only when id left off the throttle. I parked the truck came out the next morning and now it smokes worse than ever!!! I called accurate diesel who i bought the current set of injectors from and was told to check my cold advance for my timing on the ip and check the timing chain for slop. At this point im pretty sure i got garbage injectors and have my doubts about my timing being retarded enough from a stretched chain to cause this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is my preffered work truck and most economical truck! Moneys tight right now so im trying to rule everything out before spending more. Thank you!

· Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Try checking for a stuck servo pin or seized light load advance arm on the passenger side section of the injection pump.Sometimes the servo pin sticks inward and won’t return on its own like it’s supposed to because of rust or corrosion on the pin.

The light load advance arm is supposed to pivot on the pump housing when the throttle is rotated.They seize on the pivot point so have a look at that as well.I’ll upload some pictures so you can see what I’m referring to.A stuck servo pin or seized pivot point causing the servo pin to stay inward will cause lots of unburned fuel and spew smoke out the tailpipe.

Reactions: OkDually

· Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Here are the areas that cause some grief if corrosion becomes bad enough.I usually soak that area on the injection pump every month or so with deep creep or pb blaster to eliminate corrosion altogether.

Attachments

• Helpful
Reactions: 56pan and OkDually

· Premium Member
5,657 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I was finally able to get around to poppin the hood on truck. I watched light load advance arm pivot while i moved the throttle linkage and everything was completely free working as it should be

· Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Could you tell if the lower servo pin was moving in and out as well?

· Premium Member
5,657 Posts
There is a small spring behind the servo pin.Try spraying down the area with pb blaster and work the throttle back and forth.It could be possible it’s not returning fully as it’s supposed to.I worked on one of those engines in a van years ago.It spewed smoke like No tomorrow.The cause was simply a badly stuck servo pin.

Finding good injectors can be a challenge.There is a lot of garbage being sold nowadays.

Reactions: OkDually

· Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,547 Posts
Who do you get the injectors from?

· Premium Member
5,657 Posts
Who do you get the injectors from?
I think it was accurate diesel on the 2nd set he purchased.And SSdiesel supply the 1st time around.

· Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,547 Posts
The question is "are they Bosch?".

I know Accurate sells Bosch but they also sell a brand called "Medallion".
Unless, it is the Bosch even if it is made in India, I would not bet on it being good.
Trying to troubleshoot which one is bad out of 8 if not all is a nightmare with a lot of permutation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts