Diesel Place banner

6.5L Water in rocker cover

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  OkDually 
#1 ·
Today I topped up the oil and found water droplets in the filler cap. I then checked the breather and there were more water droplets. It's not mixed in with the oil (milky).

I checked the dip stick and no signs of oil?

I checked radiator and I don't have any oil in there not was there any bubbles coming up. Would you say its a head/head gasket or something else?

I don't know much about these engines so can someone point me in the right direction?

6.5L Turbo Diesel in an 1996 ISUZU NPR. - Has 25,000KM on the clock. Has been overheated once about 6 months ago.

Does smoke when you get into the throttle (black)

Did see oil coming from breather back up hose into intake pipe.

#2 ·
Welcome to DieselPlace

I would perform an oil, filter change and inspect the oil for any water contamination.
Typical signs of a head gasket issue include:
White smoke from the exhaust will smell sweet
Bubbles in the coolant tank
Hard upper coolant hose

Black smoke is unburned fuel. Inspect your exhaust ( pre turbo) for any leaks.
Inspect your turbo system.
Check your vacuum pump with a gauge. You should see no less than 22hg. from the pump. If you do, replace.
Inspect your vacuum lines from vac pump to turbo.
Check your wastegate solenoid. make sure you have 12v. to the solenoid. If you replace the solenoid be sure to use AC/Delco brand parts only.

An oily film in the intake pipe is normal. If it is excessive then I would recommend that you replace the CDR on the valve cover

#3 ·
If you are just driving short distances and not fully heating the oil up you will not evaporate any condensation that might be in the block.

Reactions: bk95td and Dadddyoh
#5 ·
Glad you found the issue.
Thanks for giving us an update!
(y)

Reactions: 56pan
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.