Diesel Place banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

· Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,511 Posts
7 gallon of fuel may not be enough, that is when the low fuel indicator lit up.

· Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,511 Posts
Do you get fuel to the fuel filter and able to bleed the air?
If you cannot get it to the filter, then it is not enough.
If you do, then 7 gallon is enough.
You need to energize the LP to do the bleeding.
This is before even starting the engine.

I am not trying to argue.
I am just saying this based on experience.
My fuel tank is 42 gallons.
So, I think the truck is probably half?

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
It gets fuel to the filter and there is no air. If I open the bleeder up in the filter it squirts out fuel. I already ordered a new pmd and if that doesn't fix it then idk what next. I unplugged the new pmd and put it in the old on and the same thing happend. Cranks then tries to fire then dies let it sit and then fires up. I also ordered a resistor with the pmd from kb diesel performance

· Registered
4,034 Posts
Have I missed something? 4 pages with a CEL light on and you have not checked for trouble codes? That should be the first thing to do. Stop throwing parts at it and check for trouble codes.

Reactions: OkDually

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
It only throws a code every now and then it's not always. It just did it for the first time yesterday
Have I missed something? 4 pages with a CEL light on and you have not checked for trouble codes? That should be the first thing to do. Stop throwing parts at it and check for trouble codes.

· Registered
4,034 Posts
What code(s) is it throwing?

· Registered
4,034 Posts
You should see what trouble codes are stored.
If you dont know how to get codes here's how.

• Helpful
Reactions: OkDually

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
Update I got it running the problem was when I put my tune in it the chip wasn't in far enough. I also cleaned my batteries after I did that it fired right up.
Glad you found the issue.
Thanks for giving us an update!
(y)

· Registered
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE Crew Cab with 6.6L Diesel
23 Posts
Update I got it running the problem was when I put my tune in it the chip wasn't in far enough. I also cleaned my batteries after I did that it fired right up.
Glad you got it figured out. I had trouble with mine dying after it ran for a bit when I first started it in the cold. I could remote start it as I'm walking out the door, and before I reached the truck, it would die, and I would have to try several times before it would start again. Mine seemed to be something with the glow plugs and the fuel gelling. Once I added the anti-gel to the fuel, the issue pretty much went away. It seems the diesels have more prone to trouble with that when it's really cold. I was thinking that might have something to do with your troubles, too, but I guess not.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
[
Glad you got it figured out. I had trouble with mine dying after it ran for a bit when I first started it in the cold. I could remote start it as I'm walking out the door, and before I reached the truck, it would die, and I would have to try several times before it would start again. Mine seemed to be something with the glow plugs and the fuel gelling. Once I added the anti-gel to the fuel, the issue pretty much went away. It seems the diesels have more prone to trouble with that when it's really cold. I was thinking that might have something to do with your troubles, too, but I guess not.
I had winter fuel in it my problem the entire time was the chip wasn't in far enough. If I was thinking I should've known cuz my gp weren't working either. Untill I cut the timer wire and ran it to a switch

· Registered
11 Posts
What an adventure!
Had a very similar issue with my '99. Did everything everybody suggested only my dying problem was really intermittent and completely unpredictable. A couple of really experienced diesel shops could not figure it out. After a couple of years of money and head scratching, I sold the truck. :-(

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
What an adventure!
Had a very similar issue with my '99. Did everything everybody suggested only my dying problem was really intermittent and completely unpredictable. A couple of really experienced diesel shops could not figure it out. After a couple of years of money and head scratching, I sold the truck. :-(
Maybe you had the same problem as me. Did you ever hear from the new owner what happened to it?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts