Diesel Place banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
This is the sock it has why wouldn't this work? View attachment 656250
Because Diesel fuel is a fine oil. Denser than gasoline and will become restrictive very easily.
The Diesel Tank sock has a relief valve on it. The one you posted is a gasser tank sock

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
Oh in the one video I seen the guy was running that one
The pics I posted above show the correct diesel sock then the second pic shows the gasser sock.
If you compare the pic you posted with the ones I posted you'll see the differences

· Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
18,511 Posts
Bottom line.
You need to put the diesel sock, if not, then it will clogged very fast.
Based on experience, the new fuel sender sold by part stores (online or b&m) have gasser sock even though it is the model for this diesel truck which need diesel sock.
For obvious reason, the gasser sock will clog very fast!!!!!! (I said it again).

Reactions: OkDually

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yeah ik it's way to small so I'm gonna drip the tank tomorrow clean the sock good and put it back in. Cuz im not waiting another 2weeks to get this going if it's the problem

· Registered
5 Posts
Did your glow plugs cycle after it shut down?? My 95 would everyone once in a while just die. It would not restart. After it sat for a while it would restart. I noticed that when it would die I could not restart it until the glow plugs would recycle. It ended up being the Glow Plug Controller causing the problem. After changing the Glow Plug Controller , problem solved.

· Registered
14 Posts
95 6.5l I put a new pmd in and new lift pump. Took it awhile to start got it started drove it around a bit. Then I went to clean up mess from working on it left it idiling. Then I heard it die and wouldn't start backup pushed it back in then it started. It will idle for 1-2 then die restart idles for 30 seconds then dies and wont restart and doesn't smoke very much. Any tips would be nice I have a fuel sending unit for it also cuz my fuel guage doesn't work.(edit I drove it home before this all happened ran fine sat for 2days then gp wouldn't cycle and wouldn't start
I had mine to shut off multiple times like I cut it off. Left me sitting and playing around with wire and stuff. I replaced pmd and cranked ran fine for 3 miles then shut off. New pmd was crap bought another one from a different company and has ran fine after that.

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
It seems like air tho cuz when it dies it won't restart then after it sits ir fires right up
A PMD can mimic that same issue.
IF the transistors in the PMD are overheated you can get a no start condition until the transistors cool down.
Also a worn Injection pump can do the same thing.
Once the internals of the IP heat up they can move out of tolerance specifications but once it cools down it will allow fuel to flow through the IP.

(To test the IP theory once you get a warm no start condition)
Grab a small bottle of room temp water and pour it over the Injection pump.
Attempt to start. If it fires right up that is a sign of a worn injection pump

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
A PMD can mimic that same issue.
IF the transistors in the PMD are overheated you can get a no start condition until the transistors cool down.
Also a worn Injection pump can do the same thing.
Once the internals of the IP heat up they can move out of tolerance specifications but once it cools down it will allow fuel to flow through the IP.

(To test the IP theory once you get a warm no start condition)
Grab a small bottle of room temp water and pour it over the Injection pump.
Attempt to start. If it fires right up that is a sign of a worn injection pump
I have the fuel tank down right now when I get it back in there I'll try that stuff. I really hope it isn't the ip I don't feel like putting that much money into it lol

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I put the fuel tank back up with 7 gallons of fuel and the ops is back in. Started cranking it nothing then it tried to it would start rev up then die in a second. And doesn't smoke now. It was smoking a lot before it tried to fire.im kinda thinking maybe fuel shut off solenoid but I'm not sure.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Now I also have a service engine light and it starts then dies(Edit I took the return line off and a few drops came out I put it back on and it fired up. I gave it some throttle it stumbled a little bit. Then a service throttle and a service engine light came on. The truck revved up a little without me touching the throttle.)

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
Ok I'll order one from kb diesel performance or quad star tuning
Make sure that you get a resistor with the PMD also. it is needed for proper PMD function

41 - 60 of 80 Posts