21 - 40 of 80 Posts

· Administrator
22,221 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
I will try that if it doesn't fix it then im probably gonna drop the tank I have a sending unit for it already.
If you do replace the sender be sure to use the correct tank sock on the sender. It does not have the correct sock on it and you have the same issues with start and die if you do not change it

· Administrator
22,221 Posts

· Registered
282 Posts
Could I use the old sock and just clean it good?
it depends on what condition you find it in... if it has been there for a long time the spring that manages the small bypass could be broken or rusty, filter difficult to clean, full of crap.

given time job takes to remove the tank, and the little expense to buy a new one, it would be much better to change the internal fuel socket, I wouldn't even think about it...get the one for diesel with bypass

instead, I would consider eliminating it and putting an external filter, much easier for maintenance, an inline fuel filter of 100 microns is enought,
there are billet ones with an internal stainless steel filter, they cost a bit, but then you have it for life, and it's very easy to maintain

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
Could I just get rid of the sock and let the engine filter do the work?
Then what would protect the lift pump from sucking in debris?

I wouldn't recommend that you remove the sock unless you install an aftermarket lift pump with extra filtration like an airdog or fass or... kennedy lift pump with extra filtration

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
True so wahts the differnce in the one that's on the new pump them the one that's on it?
the correct tank sock has a relief valve on it ( see pic)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Automotive design

The senders will have a gasoline tank sock on it . The mesh is too fine and will become restrictive rather quickly( see pic)
Road surface Asphalt Gas Composite material Concrete

· Administrator
22,221 Posts

· Administrator
22,221 Posts

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
It just cut out
Then I suspect an air intrusion.
I would start at the tank and work up to the filter housing.

If you replace the sender inspect the connections and old sender for leaks. Use the correct tank sock

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
I'll probably drop the tank today if not tomorrow
Inspect everything really well. Look for tank delamination, and inspect all the hard lines and hoses.
Any weeping/wet line indicates a leak/air intrusion.
Use a little compressed air to pressurize lines to help look for any leaks

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Inspect everything really well. Look for tank delamination, and inspect all the hard lines and hoses.
Any weeping/wet line indicates a leak/air intrusion.
Use a little compressed air to pressurize lines to help look for any leaks
Sounds good I'll let u know what I find

21 - 40 of 80 Posts