Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 6.5l I put a new pmd in and new lift pump. Took it awhile to start got it started drove it around a bit. Then I went to clean up mess from working on it left it idiling. Then I heard it die and wouldn't start backup pushed it back in then it started. It will idle for 1-2 then die restart idles for 30 seconds then dies and wont restart and doesn't smoke very much. Any tips would be nice I have a fuel sending unit for it also cuz my fuel guage doesn't work.(edit I drove it home before this all happened ran fine sat for 2days then gp wouldn't cycle and wouldn't start

· Administrator
27,225 Posts
When you replaced the PMD did you install a resistor on the PMD?
PMD relocated? if so, then disconnect the PMD from the relocation harness and connect it to the OEM harness on the IP.
This will rule out relocation harness issues

· Administrator
27,225 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was kinda thinking Mayne air in fuel but not sure when it dies it acts like someone just shut the key off. No stutter or anything just shits off

· Administrator
27,225 Posts
I was kinda thinking Mayne air in fuel but not sure when it dies it acts like someone just shut the key off. No stutter or anything just shits off
If your fuel gauge is not working and you are parking on an incline you may not have enough fuel in the tank.
Try filling the tank, bleed the fuel system and go from there

· Administrator
27,225 Posts
It could be possible there is air in the lines but after it ran for 5 minutes it should all be out.
Not if there is still an air intrusion into the fuel system

· Administrator
27,225 Posts
What do you mean?
I mean if the air is still getting into the fuel system you'll have problems.
The only way to find that out is to pressure test the fuel system and look for leaks

· Administrator
27,225 Posts
Isn't there a fuel drain or something by yhe thermostat housing
The T valve is located by the oil fill cap. when open it allows fuel to drain from the filter housing.
You can also test your lift pump using the T valve

· Administrator
27,225 Posts
I thought that's what it was om gonna try unplugging the pmd here in a little bit
To bleed the fuel system open the bleed screw on top of the fuel filter housing. Apply a 12v jumper wire to the lift pump relay and allow the pump to run until you see fuel come from the bleed screw. Then close the bleed screw and remove the 12v jumper wire

1 - 20 of 76 Posts