Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, new to the board and I could use some help with the following problem on my 1998 3500 cube van with the 6.5 turbo diesel:

The truck has been sitting for approximately 3 winter months. I went to go start it the other day to move it. It started fine, ran for about 15 minutes then I moved it back to its original spot. Next day I went to start it again to move it and it would simply rev high upon starting then just shut off. I thought maybe there was water in the fuel (even
though the "water in fuel" was not remaining on) so I dumped a bottle of diesel fuel conditioner in the 3/4 full tank. Still the same problem. It would run on very roughly for a few seconds then stall again. It had no response to pushing the accelerator pedal. I continued to try to start it to see if the conditioner would actually run through the fuel lines and I ended up draining my batteries.

A couple of other points to note, sometimes the "Wait to Start" light doesn't come on every time I try to start and also, I checked the fuses and the fuse for the "fuel solenoid" keeps blowing.

I have read some past posts regarding the Fuel Solenoid Driver and am wondering if this is the problem. I bought the truck used about a year ago and have put less than 3000 miles on it. I checked back on the previous owner's records and found that the FSD was replaced about 12,000 miles before I bought it.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

RafEdited by: Raffy20

·
Registered
584 Posts
Could your fuel be gelled? If it is real cold and you have old #2 that could be the problem or fuel filter plugged with gelling fuel. Power Service makes a product called 911. If you can get it inside and warmed up that would help.

Just some thoughts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The temperatures last week were well above freezing so I doubt it was a result of fuel gelling.

Raf

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I changed the glow plugs and the Fuel Solenoid Driver. I checked fuel pump and filter - they're good.It's still running rough and conking out.

Does anyone know what else the problem could be?

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

RafEdited by: Raffy20

·
Registered
584 Posts
hmmm;

Does it die right off or does it run awhile and quit? If your glow plugs are new and they still don't work right it could be the controller. But, once it starts and runs a bit the glow plugs system don't matter. You know if it's been sitting could have biological growth in the fuel and it could plug the filter, have you tried changing the fuel filter they are not that costly and if it's plugging you may not be getting enough fuel. Just a couple of idea's.

I just reread your first post and sure sounds like it's starved for fuel. I again would change the fuel filter and check your grounds and electrical conections and clean them. Get some terminal cleaner and spray it in the plugs and re-conect them. Another thought (daaahhaa) is your lift pump working if it isn't you are then the IP has to also suppy it's own fuel and they can be bear to start without a lift pump.Edited by: 16gaSxS

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
16gaSxS, thanks for your response.

After I replaced the FSD the truck starts with a cloud of black smoke then idles very rough. There is no change when I press the accelerator pedal. I teventually conks out.

I checked the fuel filter, it's clean.

Raf

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
This is a stretch but worth checking out, if it starts but has heavy black smoke, no power, and dies, maybe you are getting fuel but have no air or incorrect schedule , heavy black smoke in a Diesel can be an indication of lack of air., another possibility air in fuel, do you have a air leak allowing air entry to the fuel side.

The air starvation happened to me a couple a weeks ago on the wifes VW TDI, the EGR valve in that set up has a turbo anti shudder valve that uses a flapper to dampen turbo pulsation at low power or hard accel, it crudded up slam shut and starved engine of air. 6.5 does not have this but I'd look over the system air blockage, when was last air filter change, does this have a MAF sensor or a Cat, normally no on 3500 series. Blocked MAF or cat could do this.

Question just came to mind, when you changed PMD did you rotate IP if so your timing could be off.Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I had a scan done and the code for a faulty injector pump came up so I'm pulling it out.

Raf

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Raf how many miles on the van if under 120K it's still covered by dealer warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turbine, there are 158K on the van.

Raf

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Ouch,

Before condemning to IP completely how many miles since IP was last changed I doubt the IP in itself is bad, more common is a sensor or driver on the IP, what were exact codes, there are parts of the IP you can change that a dealer will wholesale change cause his book tells him to do that. Did the dealer give you the fault codes I've got a set of 98 books lets see what they say when you send the codes.Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I read a TSB on the 6.5 that says the crank pos. sensor or the optical sensor sending erratic signals will make it a no go. unplug the optical sensor on the pump and see if it still runs the same, the truck should still be able to run off the crank sensor only.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Raffy20 said:
Well, I had a scan done and the code for a faulty injector pump came up so I'm pulling it out.

Raf

BTW Raffey;

What codes came up when you checked it?

Thanks good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced the IP and now finally everything is back running like a charm. Too bad it cost me nearly USD$3000 to make it work. I hate to say this because I know I'm going to get a lot of flack on this board but I wish I hadn't bought a used truck with a diesel motor. It would have been cheaper to replace an entire gas motor plus its components. Oh well, hopefully the truck will last to make it worth while.

Thanks to everyone here you helped with their valued advice.

Raf

·
Registered
584 Posts
Raf;

Glad it runs good......sorry man about the cost I understand! It doesn't help when a Diesel Quack has one perscription for most problems.
Stick here and TDP and you'll get decent advice.

Also, no flack from me you get a love hate thing going with these things love em when they run good hate the problems!

Keep the faith

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
The eletric pump can be found in the $500 dollar range online. It's not even hard to install. you could have spent less.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts