Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone in the Orlando Florida area that knows about the 6.5l having horrible luck with mines.

·
Administrator
18,473 Posts
Is there anyone in the Orlando Florida area that knows about the 6.5l having horrible luck with mines.
Welcome to DieselPlace
Finding a knowledgeable 6.5L mechanic is going to be like finding a Unicorn...

Tell us more about your vehicle ( Year, Make, and Model ) and list any mods then describe the issue(s) you are experiencing.
With the resources here and the member's advice, you can get your 6.5L running in top shape again!
(y)

Reactions: Shanejeep5

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
when I bought the truck the guy said I may need an engine. It was knocking very loud and smoking. Took it to a guy who said it only needed injectors. Drove it smoking and knocking for an hour to the guy. Honestly other then the knocking and smoking truck drove great. I don’t know much about diesels. Had the injectors replaced with new. Picked the truck up about 20min from the guys house with no warning lights or nothing truck apparently overheated locking the engine. Took it back to the guy who changed the injectors he said the engine was shot. I went on market place got another engine. The guy I got it from let me see the engine run before he pulled it for me. Took it to get out in. Weeks later the guy who was putting the engine in couldn’t figure out how to get it started. Like a dump ass I paid him $1500 up front and he gave up. I had to tow the truck back to my house. Called a road side mechanic who came out trying to start it too. Between the both of us figured out that it was grounding to itself. Took 1 wire off engine was a hard start but was running. Then there was a fuel leak. Same time we started the engine. Fixed that, sent Mecanic on his was paid his bill parked the truck. Was starting the truck every other day driving it around a little for less then a week. Oh yeah this is a bucket truck so I got it to do a little small tree work on the weekends to make extra money. Truck did great. The first day I took attempt to go do my first job the starter was grinding and making all kinds of noise. Changed myself, same thing. Due to automatic transmission apparently the auto parts store guy gave me a starter for an manual transmission. Went got the supposed correct one, same thing. The starter is barely touching the flywheel so after a few cranks it rubs the teeth off. So after a few starters the mobile mechanic who got the engine started the first time said I needed a flywheel. Of course it’s easier to take the transmission out to do this. So I took it to their shop. A few days later I’m happy as pig in slop. Truck running drove it home 25min Great, right? Nope. Took it that weekend drove it 15min from the house on the highway. Truck shuts off while driving. Wouldn’t restart had to tow it. Since it’s the weekend took it home. Tried YouTubeing stuff. Got new pmd with relocation kit, lift pump, filters still wouldn’t start. Called mechanic back out then the damn starter started grinding again. Smh 🤦🏽‍♂️. So now it sits because Mecanic can’t figure out why the flywheel and starter from the dealer won’t fully line up and keep messing up the flywheel. Can’t figure out why it won’t start for the fuel issue because the starter issue again. This is where I am now. 7k I’m into the truck that’s sill not running

·
Administrator
18,473 Posts
Is your bucket truck a 3500HD 2wd or 4wd?

Starter grind is usually because the starter support bracket is missing. If the bracket is missing you will eventually rip the starter bolts off of the block causing severe damage to the point you will have to buy another engine.
Be sure you have a support bracket in place and Inspect your starter mounting points for any damage!

What year is the truck??

Reactions: Dadddyoh and 56pan
1 - 4 of 4 Posts