Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 95 6.5l turbo diesel

lopes and misses very bad at lower rpm’s

I have replaced the entire fuel system from tank to injectors

new tank,pickup assembl,fuel lines,lift pump,fuel filter housing,pmd,injection pump,hard lines to injectors and injectors

also new:
4” straight pipe
Egr deleting intake gaskets
Wicked wheel
Cold air intake
Ops
Valve covers

had it all together and running great...

Took it for its first drive. And did great. Drove it for about an hour and a half down back roads and only city driving with some but minimal highway driving.

did good for about a week.

took it for its first 30 min highway drive and seemed to do fine other than the tranny slipping in 3rd and 4th.

this caused the truck to rev higher than it should for a constant drive.

it ran about 15psi for around 30 min straight.

didn’t notice anything while driving but when I got off the highway it was loping really bad and on each lope came some black smoke. It revs up randomly while In drive and foot on the brake idling.

got to my buddy’s house and let it cool off.
After it cooled it was relatively hard to start. And was doing the same thing, idling rough and missing.

it seems to run great at higher rpm without any hesitation but as I accelerate it missed bad. When I get up to speed and hold a constant rpm over 1500 it smooths out perfectly fine.

as the transmission slips I can’t tell a power loss but it revs out like it should and no problems there.
or maybe it’s just a massive power loss and it makes me think my tranny is slipping.
I have no clue...

Took it to a shop and they said my cylinder #1 was missing so they wanted to replace the injector. I ordered the injector and replaced it myself as they were scheduled 6 weeks out.

same problem no difference.
I’ve reset the electrical system by disconnecting my batteries for 30 min and re connecting them.
same thing.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve fought this thing for 6 months now.

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
Welcome to DieselPlace
Start by opening your fuel cap. Do you hear a large "Whoosh" sound? If so, you have a restriction and need to modify your fuel cap for better venting.
When you replaced the sending unit and tank did you install the correct tank sock?
The sending units sold do not come with the correct tank sock and you need to install the correct tank sock ( AC/Delco TS 1020) or you will have a fuel restriction.

Start your engine and let it idle. Open your T Valve for 30 seconds and let any fuel out into a container.
During that 30 seconds if the engine dies or you see no fuel coming from the drain line, the lift pump is too weak to support the engine. Replace with AC/Delco EP 158

Install a piece of clear fuel line on the return side of the Injection Pump to help locate any air in fuel

15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t get a woosh sound.
I did install the tank sock that came with the pickup but I have no fuel restrictions
I measured the psi from the t handle and it was in spec and when reved
I have codes 32,33,44,91,96,97

32,33,44 all has to do with egr which I deleted and were expected

91,96,97 are all cylinder balance faults(miss fires due to lack of air or fuel)
Cylinders #8,#3 and #2

first shop I took it to said it had a cylinder #1 miss fire and so I replaced the injector to that cylinder. And no more code for it.

dirty fuel was ran through the motor but now it’s clean and only after driving for a week daily it started loping and hard starting when hot.

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
I don’t get a woosh sound.
I did install the tank sock that came with the pickup but I have no fuel restrictions
I measured the psi from the t handle and it was in spec and when reved
I have codes 32,33,44,91,96,97

32,33,44 all has to do with egr which I deleted and were expected

91,96,97 are all cylinder balance faults(miss fires due to lack of air or fuel)
Cylinders #8,#3 and #2

first shop I took it to said it had a cylinder #1 miss fire and so I replaced the injector to that cylinder. And no more code for it.

dirty fuel was ran through the motor but now it’s clean and only after driving for a week daily it started loping and hard starting when hot.
Install that piece of clear fuel line on the return side of the Injection Pump. This will help locate any air in fuel issues.
Go through all grounds.
Remove each one, clean and reinstall.
If any are in questionable shape, replace them.

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,878 Posts
If you run dirty fuel, you may want to replace the fuel filter after the dirty fuel is done?

15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced the entire fuel system except injectors after dirty fuel was ran through.
mill look and clean all ground when I get home and I’ll install a piece of clean hose as well.

I’ll work on sending a video of it running

it lopes a little at idle then gets much worst up to 1k-1500
Then smooths out anything over 1500 to what sounds like completely normal

15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
For videos, it is easier and more helpful to upload the video to YouTube first then copy the video link from the address bar and paste it here in the forum

·
Registered
843 Posts
Verify you have a resistor installed in your PMD.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
With the cylinder balance issue it could Possibly a bad CPS. Rough idle and hard starts are also CPS symptoms

Reactions: OkDually

·
Registered
1995 GMC Suburban
17,878 Posts
Did you put the correct diesel tank sock? The FSU sold out there does not come with the correct sock.

Did you replace the tank itself, otherwise, even after you replace the fuel system, the bad fuel may still have some effect.
If the bad fuel went pass the filter and got into the IP, that can weaken the IP.

15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you put the correct diesel tank sock? The FSU sold out there does not come with the correct sock.

Did you replace the tank itself, otherwise, even after you replace the fuel system, the bad fuel may still have some effect.
If the bad fuel went pass the filter and got into the IP, that can weaken the IP.
I installed what was sent with the pickup assembly.
it’s a brand new fuel tank as well

the only thing that had dirty fuel ran through it was the injectors, everything fuel related is fresh with only clean diesel ran through except injectors.

15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Verify you have a resistor installed in your PMD.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
I have a resistor and 2 different good pmd’s aswell as the relocation harness installed

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
I’ll look into that. What exactly does that do
Crankshaft Position Sensor on the lower portion of the timing cover, Drivers side, By the crankshaft. You will see a pigtail wires going up close to the IP

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
I installed what was sent with the pickup assembly.
it’s a brand new fuel tank as well

the only thing that had dirty fuel ran through it was the injectors, everything fuel related is fresh with only clean diesel ran through except injectors.
Keep in mind that the sender will not come with the correct tank sock and you will get a restriction. The Diesel tank sock should have a valve on the end.
The ones that come on the senders are too fine ( like a gasser sock)

15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Keep in mind that the sender will not come with the correct tank sock and you will get a restriction. The Diesel tank sock should have a valve on the end.
The ones that come on the senders are too fine ( like a gasser sock)
Alright well would there still be a problem if I have correct psi to t valve after fuel filter housing and while raising rpm?

·
Administrator
16,738 Posts
Alright well would there still be a problem if I have correct psi to t valve after fuel filter housing and while raising rpm?
As long as your gauge is accurate. The restriction may not be immediate, but after a few tanks you'll start to notice a difference as the sock mesh gets clogged with asphaltenes and contaminates.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts