Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
She Don't Smoke!
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1995+ Guide to Installed LEDs in Cab
Please read entire guide before attempting on LED Install (if you use this anyways)

Tools Needed:
  • 1/4" set with 6" or longer extension
  • FlatHead Screwdriver
LEDs Bulb List (Part numbers are for Super Bright LEDs website):
Number of bulbs needed - Bulb Part Number - Bulb information
  • (6) WLED-x4-90 - Wedge Base Bulb (194/168 type)90 Degree Viewing Angle
  • (4) 74-xHP - Small Wedge Base LED bulb (74 type) 3/16 inch wide base, 3/4 inch overall length
  • (1) NEO4-x - NeoWedge series 1-LED Twist Lock, 4 mm
  • (1) 4221x6 - 42x11mm Festoon Bulb with 6 LEDS
  • (2) RL4410-xHP9 - 44x10.5mm Rigid Loop Festoon Base Bulb with 9 High Power LEDs
Here is a users order:

Bulb Placement:
  • WLED-x4-90 - 6 bulbs go into the gauge cluster. If you want to add LEDs to the floor and door lights, buy 4 more.
  • 74-xHP - All 4 bulbs go into the Fan/AC Control Unit
  • NEO4-x - Bulb goes into the Headlight Switch
  • 4221x6 - Dome Light
  • RL4410-xHP9 - Goes into Map Lights
How to replace your bulbs!

Step 1: Dash Bezel Removal
Remove your Dash Bezel.
  • Tilt Steering wheel all the way down and pull out your cup holder
  • (for automatics only) Turn key on and put shifter into first gear
  • Grab top right corner of dash bezel and pull. You may need to tug a little bit. Work yourself around until dash is completely loose.
  • Disconnect all connectors on back: Headlight Switch, Cargo Lamp Switch, and any other switches you have added. Then, remove dash bezel and set aside.
Step 2: AC/Fan Control Unit
Remove AC/Fan Control Unit.
  • The unit is held in by clips on the backside of the faceplate. Take a small screwdriver and squeeze the clip in on one side then work on the other side. Be careful! The unit has a plastic pin on each side that helps hold the unit in. I broke mine when I installed it.... It stays in if the bezel is in place though.
  • Disconnect the plugs on the back side of the unit.
Replace AC/Fan Control Bulbs.
  • On the back side of the unit you should see 4 grey bulb sockets that should be towards the top. You remove these by twisting counter-clockwise about 90 degrees and pull out.
  • Once the socket is removed from the unit pull the bulb out of the socket and install the LED bulb.
  • Install the socket with the new LED bulb back into the unit.
  • Repeat procedure for the other 3 sockets.

Reinstall AC/Fan Control Unit back into dash area, but first time to test! Scroll down to Testing Gauge Cluster and AC/Fan unit.

Step 3: Gauge Cluster
Remove Gauge Cluster
  • Remove 4 bolts on cluster (2 on each side), pull out, then tilt the top towards you and slide out. Doubt you need these pics... but oh well: Pictures of cluster bolts Pic1 Pic 2
  • After gauge is removed flip it face side down. There you can see the ribbon circuits and a bunch of different bulbs.

You can see there are many bulbs in the back of the cluster. You will only want to pay attention to the ones labeled "ILL". There should be six of them there.
Removing and Installing Bulbs
  • To remove turn socket 90 degrees counter-clockwise and pull. Here you can see the bulb and socket:
  • To remove the bulb from the socket you will have to pull and wiggle it lose. I found it easier if you stick a flathead screwdriver through the bottom of the socket and push the bulb. Careful not to break bulb.
  • After bulb is removed grab the LED and straighten out the wires so both are pointing straight down. Place LED bulb inside socket and fold wire over the metal contact on each side.
  • Repeat for other 5 bulbs and place cluster back into dash but do not bolt down just yet
Testing Gauge Cluster and AC/Fan unit.
  • Remove Headlight switch from dash bezel and then plug the headlightswitch in. Picture: HeadlightSwitch
  • Turn on headlights while holding the gauge cluster in place and take note on which bulbs are not working. Turn headlights off and remove dash and whichever bulbs were not working, take out, flip 180 degrees and reinsert. You do this the same with the AC/Fan control unit!
  • After everything is in working correctly you can bolt down cluster.
Step 4: Headlight Switch
  • On the bottom of the switch you will see a circular type object that is grey in color and has a place for a flat head screwdriver.
  • Remove bulb and install LED. Turn on headlights to make sure it works, if not remove and turn 180 degrees.
Step 5: Dome and Map Lights
  • Remove dome light plastic cover and remove bulb.
  • Remove the screw behind where the bulb was and remove the plastic covering. Here you will see the rigid loop bulbs for the map lights.
  • Remove those bulbs and install the rigid loop LEDs. Reinstall plastic cover and install the LED bulb for dome light.
If you decide to replace the bulbs in the door you may have to open the hole a little bit bigger to fit the bigger size of the LED.

Here are some pictures after my install. The camera didn't quite get the pictures perfect... but oh well.

I'm not completely done, but 95% of everything is LED inside :)

Thank you WhiteK2500 (Justin) for all the information and help during the install :D

Attachments

·
She Don't Smoke!
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm not the best at making guides... sorry if its not too organized or anything :(. Also if i need to make corrections just say :).

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Well done :thumb:
next on mine ( I choose blue) will be the door and mirror switches---- as soon as I'll get time enough...

·
She Don't Smoke!
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well done :thumb:
next on mine ( I choose blue) will be the door and mirror switches---- as soon as I'll get time enough...
I've done the window switches. Mirror I don't feel like tearing apart the switch yet and the doorlock on the drivers side i couldn't get the LED to fit in there lol... My old bulb doesn't work either because the contacts on the bulb were corroded away...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice write up!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
nice work! thanks for sharing!

·
Knows The 6.5
3,142 Posts
Great job Mikey, I have pics from when I did mine, I have pics of how to install the dome/map lights, want me to send em to ya, and you can add it to this?

·
She Don't Smoke!
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great job Mikey, I have pics from when I did mine, I have pics of how to install the dome/map lights, want me to send em to ya, and you can add it to this?
That'd be sweet. I'll soon change the pictures i've added from my photobucket to the forums as well :D

·
Registered
996 Posts
Got mine done a few weeks ago but haven't had the time to show them off. I chose red for the illumination of the gauge cluster, then upgraded the rest with the LED's.

Thanks for the info on changing the selector switch for the lights and dome override Green, I didn't think about that one. Woulda done my HVAC system lights as well but ran outa LED's.

I'd send a pictures to ya, but I'm in Kansas City right now and the trucks in Jersey. I'll do it when I get back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Your volt meter is showing 9 volts?

·
She Don't Smoke!
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
55 Posts
You need new batteries!

·
She Don't Smoke!
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
459 Posts
It looks really nice, I bet even nicer at nighttime in person... I sure hope they dim?

·
She Don't Smoke!
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks really nice, I bet even nicer at nighttime in person... I sure hope they dim?
They only dim slightly then go off. They won't blind you while driving at night though ;).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts