Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Chevrolet truck 6.5L diesel with turbo. Here is the problem, I live 22 miles from town and was leaving town going home and someone told me I was loosing water, but when I got home I noticed it was diesel fuel. I fixed the leak in the line, went to crank the truck after fixing the line and it would not start. The glow plug light will not come on the check engine light does not come on. The truck will not start. I have changed just about everything I can think of and it still has not helped. Is there someone who can tell me what I need to do besides junk the truck. This is my only means of transporation and I need it. I cannot afford to take it to a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
UM, does it crank and not start or does it not just crank out.

Also, what was leaking fuel?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
hey smokey girl welcome did you ever come to the right site..
..these guys will help you out for sure....;)

how much fuel did you loose?

do you have any power at all? check your batteries terminals....maybe..

·
Registered
72 Posts
did you do anything with the fuel filter, and or around the fuel filter?
when i changed my fuel filter and ops i took out the bolts on the piece that holds the fuel filter, there was a ground wire on one of them, as a result the glow plugs didn't cycle nor did the wipers work, also after replaceing the fiel filter it was quite a ***** to start while it was running the air out of the lines....just a thought

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Howdy SG,

Welcome to the site, take a minute to update your signature as detailed in welcome link in mine, it will allow us to better assist you.

I suspect air in your system following fuel line replacement, which line exactly did you change, if the one going to the brass tee handle drain, that is the main fuel filter bowl drain, so now your fuel filter is full of air, your truck won't start on air. You will need to open the vent on top of the fuel filter bowl and jumper the fuel lift pump relay to run the lift pump until air stops coming out and it's fuel only. once filter bowl is purged it should start after several failed attempts. You will need fully charged batteries for full crank speed; since you have done some unsuccessful cranking get out your charger and fully charge batts before trying to start again.

If you go to the FAQs there is a section with pictures of the fuel filter assembly.

One of you guys know off hand which pins to jumper for the 94 lift pump relay/lift pump on, I can look it up but I'm headed out the door.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts